Update on hen being treated for EYP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by critterkeeper25, Oct 16, 2014.

1. critterkeeper25

critterkeeper25 Chillin' With My Peeps

It has been a week since our hen, which I witnessed passing a shell-less egg last Monday, showed symptoms of illness. We contacted our vet again on Tuesday when she was still pooping/passing clotty-looking white stuff and he extended the treatment to 7 days from the original 5. She only has been pooping little poops. She has been eating her layer feed, some grass I cut for her daily, bread and just a little yogurt. She has also been drinking. She still has a mess on her butt. Whatever she is passing is watery. I have seen small watery white poops in the kennel where we are keeping her. She has been treated for 7 days with penicillin. On two occasions when we were giving her the injections (while she was on her back) she was making little watery breathing sounds. Kind of like when you drink the very last little bit of something through a straw. Is this something that we should be treating? Could she have a secondary respiratory infection on top of the EYP? Her attitude had been improving daily. She paces the kennel when the other girls are out, she wants to join them. She was even scratching in the shavings in the kennel looking for bugs yesterday. She talks a lot now too. Would the penicillin treat a respiratory infection if she had one? Could the fluid be caused by the EYP? She isn't very swollen in the back end, only a little spongy. She hasn't laid an egg since this whole thing began. I asked the Vet where we go from here. He said the it would be in God's hands after the treatment.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The vet could prescribe Baytril, although is is illegal to use in chickens, but many will still use it if you are not going to eat the meat or eggs. The Baytril injectable can be used orally or by injection, and it would treat both EYP and respiratory diseases. Or you could treat her with Tylan50 injectable given orally or by injection 1 ml daily for 5 days, but if you can get the Baytril I would. Here is a link to read: http://uspigeons.mercasystems.com/index.php/enroxina-pigeons-products-6989.html

3. critterkeeper25

Thank you for the info. I will give my vet a call. Is it common for hens suffering from EYP to develop secondary upper respiratory infections? When I let her out of the dog house this morning, I could hear the same sound coming out of her. It sounds like it is in her sinus. She doesn't have a runny nose, I haven't heard her cough or sneeze, her eyes look clear and she's very alert. The only things that are off about her are; the funny bubbly sound when she breathes, her droopy comb which looks a little pale and her messy butt.

4. toynutz

toynutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Pacific NW
    I recently had two girls with EYP. One also developed breathing problems... so I don't know if it's common in general, but in my case it was. Good luck with your girl.

5. critterkeeper25

Did your hens recover? Did you have to treat the respiratory issue? I have still to hear from my Vet, I don't know if he has the Baytril or not.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The only experience I have with EYP is with one hen who died, and it was never confirmed by necropsy. Air sacculitis is the biggest threat as a secondary disease, even in respiratory disease. It's when the bacteria gets into the air sacs and travels all over the body. E.coli is one the different bacteria where that can happen. E.coli is one of the ones to cause infection in EYP. Since air sacs are all over the body, the germs can invade anywhere and end up causing widespread infection. At least that is what I understand. I can't find anything on air sacculitis and EYP, but here are a couple of articles including the one on colibacillosis in the second link, and though the first link is about meat chickens, it explains how respiratory infections can be affected by conditions in the coop:
    http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/12/03/2014/143321/how-to-control-airsacculitis-in-chickens.htm
    http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/diseases.html

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I've never had an EYP or internal laying hen develop respiratory symptoms so I don't know if it would be related or it it's a completely separate disease process she has going on. I would think that the penicillin would control any risk of secondary bacterial infection or pnuemonia due to the respiratory issue.

Has your vet determined exactly what is going on with her? Does she indeed have an internal laying issue and EYP or was it just the one shell-less egg? Is he treating for infection from possible retained bits of shell? I just ask because if she does indeed have EYP from internal laying then she is likely to be right back in the same boat shortly after the course of antibiotic's unless you can put a stop to the laying.

8. toynutz

toynutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Pacific NW
    My first girl might've had a chance thru surgery and ongoing meds, but it would've been experimental for the vet and too costly for me, so I couldn't do it. The other one seemed not as bad and she started some meds but her breathing got so bad that night, that she didn't make it. I didn't get a chance to treat her for breathing problems since it happened so fast, and I didn't think at the time to have a necropsy, but I'm pretty sure something else was going on with her besides EYP. I think their immune systems are working overtime trying to combat EYP and that seems to make them even more susceptible to secondary infections and diseases.

9. critterkeeper25

Unfortunately, he doesn't have much experience with chickens. We live in the country, maybe people that have chickens that do come up with health issues just cull their chickens and eat them? He's Google-ing right along with me to try to treat her. In the beginning, she wasn't acting normally (lethargic quiet) I witnessed her pass a shell-less egg with cooked yolk appearance. She then became more lethargic and I posted on here to try to diagnose her. It seemed to be unanimous that she had EYP or was an internal layer. I contacted the vet, he Googled her symptoms and decided that he also thought that it was EYP. Every day her butt is wet looking and usually covered with a clotty white substance. This morning it is just wet looking. Haven't seen much in the way of normal looking poops. As she has been feeling better, more alert, talking, she has been pacing the fence trying to get out to be with the other hens. Yesterday I left her out with them. I figured that she didn't need the added stress of running back and forth in her pen being upset because she wanted to be out. I put her back in her enclosure last night when they all went in to roost. This morning she is still very perky and is again pacing the fence wanting to go out. I know that she has been eating because the feed level in her feeder is going down. I have seen her drink. Her abdomen doesn't seem any more distended. She does look smaller so I think that she has lost some weight. I have been hand feeding her scratch grains, and little bits of bread crust. I have also given her some plain yogurt to help her digestive tract. One night when my husband tried to get her out of the dog house where we have been quarantining her, he grabbed her by the legs and pulled her out upside down. It was after this that I noticed her breathing bubbly sounds. I wonder if she could have aspirated something that may have been in her crop? He hasn't picked her up that was since then.

The only symptoms that she has that would indicate that she may be ill now would be the droopy pale comb, the slight bubbly breathing sounds and the wet butt. She also hasn't laid any eggs in almost 2 weeks.

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

The ongoing wet butt makes me wonder if this might be vent gleet rather then EYP? Many of her symptoms seem to be suggestive of that.

Kudo's to your vet for trying and being willing to help even though birds aren't his specialty, many vets simply say no.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by