Update on injured rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Its Just Us Chickens, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Its Just Us Chickens

Its Just Us Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Mississippi
    I started talking about this in "my lab jsut tried to kill one of my hens" and thought I'd go ahead and give my roo his won thread.

2. Its Just Us Chickens

Nov 24, 2008
    Mississippi
    Ooops, I hit the wrong key and posted before I was ready, sorry guys. [​IMG]

Anyhow, my roo was attacked by my lab puppy yesterday and is missing a huge patch of feathers on his back. He was standing up in his box this morning and tried to peck me when I gave him water. He's been crowing all morning. I'm taking these as good signs.

3. Its Just Us Chickens

Nov 24, 2008
    Mississippi
    He seems to be doing really well today, as far as how he's acting. But he has blood in his poo. What does that mean?

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That means, more likely than not that he sustained some internal injuries.

There is still hope that he may heal.

5. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Injury or parasites. Have a fecal checked if you want to rule out parasites. Coccidia can cause bloody feces, but unless your rooster is new to your house, adults usually do not have problems with coccidia, as they are already immune. Stress could have depressed his immune system though- so back to the injury vs parasites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by