Update on Little Bit

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
My sweet Little Bit is happy, healthy, and, growing like crazy. Her leg never did heal, despite trying everything. I put the other chicks that hatched with her outside at two + months when I had new hatchlings. I kept her in the brooder with the new babies.

She has become their surrogate mother in the brooder. When they were tiny, they crawled up on her and under her wings and just took to her immediately. I am wondering if it is warm enough in South Mississippi to move them outside? The temperatures at night are in the low 70's. I know Little Bit will be fine, but, not so sure about the itty bitties. Should I continue to keep a warm light available? I know other people put them outside earlier. My neighbor does, however, he has more chicks than I do and a panel heater. I just love my little chirpies.

They are not fully feathered; their wings and tail feathers are in. I have a little coop that will be their home for now. Currently there are six chicks, the same age as Little Bit in there, and, they will go to a bigger coop area. When I put them in there, I had a heat lamp on for about a week. It seemed to be too warm for them because they rarely went to the upper area. (I do have a heater that is can go under and the height is adjustable. It is much bigger than I needed but I could use that.) They loved to cuddle and play in the pine shavings.

I had three Cemani chicks hatch out of six, one died at two days, and these other two are so darn adorable. I do not want to do anything to hurt them. I really appreciate an input.

1622569583438.png

I would think being outside is fine for them considering we are just about in the summer time. Not sure how the weather is like over there but here it's already blistering hot!

UPDATE-June 18, 2021

Little Bit, Itsy, and, Bitsy are doing great! As I said, I kept Little Bit in the brooder with the baby Ayam Cemani chicks. All are growing; they are outside in their own little coop. The Cemani are now about five weeks old, curious, and adorable.

I am so excited to be able to say Little Bit is almost walking normally! Her leg is no longer pointed out. She spent most of her time "mothering the other hen's chicks," she let them cuddle under her and spent most of the last month on the low roost. She had most of the room and I think it gave her the time she needed for her leg to correct itself.

I am astounded at the resilience of this little girlie. She is so pretty and very proud and protective of her "babies!"

Back
Top Bottom