Update on Miracle, my double yolker in the bator! This is the end.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickLover98, Aug 31, 2010.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I candled Miracle (The double yolker thats in the bator) and didnt get great results. The day 8 candling looked underdeveloped and my day 14 candling looked more like a day 8. There was no embryo movement. What should I do? It doesnt smell bad or anything like that. Should I let it there or get rid of it? It took me a few days to fix a temp spike. Would that have a key part in stunting Miracle's growth? During the candling I saw a large mass of viens on one side and a little dot on the front. Should I hang in there with Miracle or is it time to call it quits? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    I would get rid of it, as double yokers generally end up bad anyway.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I would think that the embryo(s) are dead, so I would throw it out too.. I had a double yolker which I incubated until about day 12 before it died. They do not often make it through to hatching,

Sandie

4. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    chickenlover - Did you say there was a mass of veins on one side of the egg. That to me sounds like there is life inside of that egg. I would give it a little while longer. I always use caution and I usually have a gut feeling that it is ok, and I just proved that this time around with my latest broody hens.

Good Luck and [​IMG]

5. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I Am going to hang on with it until the day 17 candling. I'll keep posting!

6. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I candled again today and I swear it looked different inside! I also saw (or at least I think i saw) the embryo, Miracle, move! Whooo hooo! Wish me luck!

7. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    right on ChickenLover98 [​IMG]

8. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks BlueBirdChick! I will keep everyone updated!

9. tarheelmama7914

tarheelmama7914 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    good luck!

10. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    OMG!! Hatchdate is tomorrow!! YYAAHHOOO!!!!!!! I candled a few days ago before lockdown and all I could see was a small air sack on the bottom! I will pos tpictures and updates as it goes along! YAY! If Miracle hatches, I might ask to have this moved to raising baby chicks, so I can post pictures and pictures and pictures! I will also update!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by