Update on Miracle, my double yolker in the bator! This is the end.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickLover98, Aug 31, 2010.

1. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I candled Miracle (The double yolker thats in the bator) and didnt get great results. The day 8 candling looked underdeveloped and my day 14 candling looked more like a day 8. There was no embryo movement. What should I do? It doesnt smell bad or anything like that. Should I let it there or get rid of it? It took me a few days to fix a temp spike. Would that have a key part in stunting Miracle's growth? During the candling I saw a large mass of viens on one side and a little dot on the front. Should I hang in there with Miracle or is it time to call it quits? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  2. dutchhollow

dutchhollow Songster

May 13, 2008
    SW IA
    I would get rid of it, as double yokers generally end up bad anyway.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I would think that the embryo(s) are dead, so I would throw it out too.. I had a double yolker which I incubated until about day 12 before it died. They do not often make it through to hatching,

Sandie

4. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    chickenlover - Did you say there was a mass of veins on one side of the egg. That to me sounds like there is life inside of that egg. I would give it a little while longer. I always use caution and I usually have a gut feeling that it is ok, and I just proved that this time around with my latest broody hens.

Good Luck and [​IMG]

5. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I Am going to hang on with it until the day 17 candling. I'll keep posting!

6. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I candled again today and I swear it looked different inside! I also saw (or at least I think i saw) the embryo, Miracle, move! Whooo hooo! Wish me luck!

7. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    right on ChickenLover98 [​IMG]

8. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks BlueBirdChick! I will keep everyone updated!

9. tarheelmama7914

tarheelmama7914 Chirping

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    good luck!

10. ChickLover98

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    OMG!! Hatchdate is tomorrow!! YYAAHHOOO!!!!!!! I candled a few days ago before lockdown and all I could see was a small air sack on the bottom! I will pos tpictures and updates as it goes along! YAY! If Miracle hatches, I might ask to have this moved to raising baby chicks, so I can post pictures and pictures and pictures! I will also update!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by