**Update:On Momma Duck vomiting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Becca's Animals, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Becca's Animals

Becca's Animals Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Hi everyone, my female mallard has hatched out 11 of her thirteen eggs and the little ones are running around as happy as can be, but poor mom is throwing up yellowish green (this duck never throws up) and I don't know what is causing it [​IMG] I saw her eating a little bit of the chick starter that I have in the pen for the babies, don't know why she was eating it when her food was right there in her dish.....also I was wondering if maybe she is vomiting from eating the ducklings eggs??? there were only two egg shells left in the nest this morning and I threw them away...please help I am really worried about her.

**Update May 6, Took Squirt yesterday to the vet as she was not getting any better. She pooped blood for a couple of days after the initial ingestion of the egg shells, then she began to be lethargic and pooping out a bright green with white combo, talked to the vet and he said to try some whole grains and just make sure she had water available. She has been drinking still, til today, I took her to the vet yesterday for a visit because it seemed to me she just wasnt getting any better, so he told me he thinks she has an infection. He administered a shot yesterday, along with her first dose of Albon Sus. Today she just seems so tired, and isn't drinking as much either.... not sure if she is going to make it yet. She has actually ate 2 1/2 worms in the last 2 days! Which is more than she has ate in a week [​IMG] Cross your fingers for her please [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Becca's Animals :

Hi everyone, my female mallard has hatched out 11 of her thirteen eggs and the little ones are running around as happy as can be, but poor mom is throwing up yellowish green (this duck never throws up) and I don't know what is causing it [​IMG] I saw her eating a little bit of the chick starter that I have in the pen for the babies, don't know why she was eating it when her food was right there in her dish.....also I was wondering if maybe she is vomiting from eating the ducklings eggs??? there were only two egg shells left in the nest this morning and I threw them away...please help I am really worried about her.

Sorry, I've never heard of that before, but I would make sure she's got LOTS of water so she doesn't dehydrate.

Good luck!​

3. Becca's Animals

Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks for the reply, I know i haven't heard of it before either....she has plenty of water in the pen with her. The ducklings must be warm because she keeps trying to take them in the box with her and they keep going back outside and laying. I am thinking that maybe she got sick from eating all of their egg shells when they hatched [​IMG]
    I am not sure if she (her name is Squirt) is feeling well either, she doesn't act quite herself, but she hasn't been since she got broody either.....

4. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Hope your duck gets better, but you are going to have to take care of eventually 11 more adult mallards.

5. Becca's Animals

Apr 6, 2011
    Oh yes I definitely know that....LOL and they are just as happy as can be!! I had to separate the mom from them a day ago when the mom started to poop blood and started to become very worn down, she is now taking refuge in our bath tub on some comfy towels. She is doing much better not pooping blood anymore but still will not eat yet, I think all those egg shells tore her up and she is still not feeling up to eating. We tried to put her back with the little ones today and they just loved her to death, her on the other hand did NOT, she would do the vibrating head shake and chase them off. Know of anyone who would like some mallards? [​IMG] We are going to be over ran, we also have another female out on her nest with 18 eggs under her...oh gosh, I love my ducks!!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Does she like peas? Maybe just a little mashed peas might go down. Also, sometimes I have used dampened soft food. Can you give her some poultry vitamins and electrolytes?

7. Becca's Animals

Apr 6, 2011
    I have been trying today to give her a variety of foods. I tried to do peas today, but she didn't seem interested, yet. I have been trying to find some vitamins/electrolytes in stores around my area, but haven't had any luck. It would take at least 5 days to have them shipped. Do you know of any particular vitamins, electrolytes, etc. that would be good? Thank you for your help btw!! [​IMG]

8. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    as a last resort for the electrolytes use Gatorade. I have heard it is not that bad from ducks but I have never used it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  9. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Maybe, you need to separate the babies from the mom. She is clearly stressed out. She needs to relax. But yeah, if you separate her, you are going to have to deal with 20+ babies soon by yourself. [​IMG] Btw, how many month does it take before it lays eggs?

10. Becca's Animals

Apr 6, 2011
    Yea she has been separated from them now for a little over 24 hours. We tried to put them back together yesterday when she seemed to be feeling alittle better, and had some more strength and she would not let them get under her while she was standing. She was doing the vibrating head/neck thing when they chase one another off/or fight. Sssooo yea I now have 16 ducklings in my basement, and 1 adult duck in my upstairs bathtub. 5 ducks are 3 weeks old and other 11 are Squirts. We are going to try to find homes for some of the babies, but if we can't then I guess we will just make our pen a little bigger [​IMG] Mom is doing much better today, I picked off some vitamin and electrolyte packs today for her and will add them to her water.

oh sorry I didn't answer your question about how many months before they start laying eggs sorry! Squirt started laying last October, so she was 6 months old, she laid all through winter, all but one week, then this spring after our two boys got killed when they REFUSED to come back in the night pen she became very broody and here we are today.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by