1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Update on my 3 hens who are bleeding

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by youcancallmeAl, Nov 11, 2011.

1. youcancallmeAl

youcancallmeAl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    I spoke to the vet, who was not very helpful as most vets do not tend to very many chickens. I have 3 laying hens who are 7 months old that are all of a sudden bleeding from the vent. They have all laid their eggs today, and are pooping ok. I was finally able to pick one up and clean the area a bit, I say a bit because there is a lot of old/new blood there. The vent seems to be swollen/blue tinged. They are all eating/drinking and acting normally, just the bleeding. I am stumped. Any suggestions? It is cold enough to snow but they are in a heated henhouse at night.

Nancy in Canada.

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Do a search here. Type in : prolapsed vent. If hens are new to, or laying very large eggs they can prolapse their vent holes. At first the tissue is bright red and inviting the other hens to peck at them. After a period of restricted blood flow you will see bluing or bruising of prolapsed tissue followed by necrosis or gangrene and death.

3. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    oh gosh, sorry I caant help. bump
    hope they get well soon [​IMG]

4. youcancallmeAl

youcancallmeAl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Quote:I think you got it! Interesting though the treatment for prolapsed vent is prep.H...what we would use for hemorrhoids, which is what I think I see. I will use it in the morning and try some sugar paste as well, the vet did say they use that for cows with prolapse. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by