Update on my barred rock "pullets"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by orchidchick, Feb 2, 2009.

1. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    that are now nine week old. Speckledhen called it! I believe my feed store gets their day old chicks from Ideal.

Here's one

[​IMG]

and her alleged "sister" that I posted about wondering if little pullet chicks could crow at a week old.

[​IMG]

you can see how dark chick #1 is behind the sex link........

[​IMG]
    Oh well, I haven't heard any more crowing, and if he behaves, he can stay! He needs to do something with that frizz, tho![​IMG]
    Orchidchick

2. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Aren't they pretty!!! [​IMG]

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    hahaha! Yep! The lighter one is a cockerel!

4. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    i hatched out BR's in December and ended up with 23 chicks and several "questionable" pullets - no more wondering - they are just busting out like big boys as they are growing up!!
    They are funny little guys...they are first ones to fly over and see whats up and the last ones to leave the treat dish!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  5. orchidchick

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    Yes, I have never had a youngster lay down next to the feeder and eat....I think he is conserving his energy for things down the road! He hangs by himself a lot, too! ( Can you tell it's my first boy? Other than my grown sons that is [​IMG] )

Orchidchick

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yeppers, that sure is a boy, LOL. Hey, if he's half the rooster that my Dutch, Mace, Zane and their dear departed father, Hawkeye, was, then you'll have a wonderful guy.

7. orchidchick

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    I'd be honored if he is half the roo any of your of your guys are! from what I've read, they have been wonderful flock leaders. And believe me, some of my hens need a good balance in their lives! I'm hoping!!!! It's a lot to ask from a"mistake" out of the pullet bin tho!

8. blackrooster

blackrooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2009
    ky
    those barred rock are real nice

9. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Are they 9 weeks old in these pictures? They are so pretty!

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Hatchery BRs don't usually look that nice. You've got keepers there!

I started with 7 BRs. They are flighty and mean. I'm rehoming all but two...keeping the ones with the white ear lobes. I know weird huh? And they came from McMurray.

I will add that I will miss their egg laying consistency but I've got real nice eggs in the bator and I've got to make room.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by