update on my broody hen...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shadust1, Nov 19, 2011.

1. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    so when we went down this morning she was off the eggs...then when i just came home she was still off the eggs...so im assuming she is done being mamma...so i took her back down with the other chickens and brought the eggs up to the house in a box..put some moist paper towels under them and a little container of water...a heat lamp is hanging right up above them all...am i doing this right...today is day 20..i dont even think they r alive...maybe that is why she keeps getting up...when we tried to candle them lastnight all u saw was solid inside..nothing moving...couldnt see a airsac...stinks..10 eggs..u would think even one would live...i dont know....please tell me what to do....HELP A DESPERATE CHICK MAMA....LOL....ILL BE HEARTBROKEN....[​IMG]

2. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:It's possible the eggs are bad, infertile and mama just "knows" I'm no expert, so I wont say to toss or crack 'em open. When you say you seen solid, do you mean solid black or clear?

3. shadust1

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    no way i would be afraid to crack some open..i would be so devastated if a baby chick half done was in them dead...i think ill just get rid of them...candled all of them in my bathroom..nothing happening in any of them..so ill try again next broody session..lol...very sad though...i was really looking foward to the new ones...spring will be a better time anyway for us....thanks for the help!!! [​IMG]

Quote:It's possible the eggs are bad, infertile and mama just "knows" I'm no expert, so I wont say to toss or crack 'em open. When you say you seen solid, do you mean solid black or clear?

4. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    You're welcome! Like I said, I'm NO expert, but there those eggs sound empty to me. What kind of hen laid the eggs?

5. shadust1

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    I got the eggs from a neighbor up the road...so im not even sure what kinds...

Quote:

6. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Give them a few days. hens cant tell if they are bad :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by