UPDATE on my candling skills!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChobeeChickenMommy, Nov 16, 2011.

1. ChobeeChickenMommy

ChobeeChickenMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    So last night I decided just for fun I would candle my eggs... I got 5 definite growths, 2 w/ growths but smaller then the others, 2 maybe clears but not sure, & 9 that I think are clear... I wanted to share the pics that I took to see if any of y'all can tell me if I am missing something or if I am doing it right. Thanks in advance!!

1) Clear egg?
    [​IMG]
    2) Possible growth?
    [​IMG]
    3) Definitely growth w/ veins?!
    [​IMG]
    4) My dropped egg from tonight... [​IMG] no growth though thankfully & it was one that I said was "clear"
    [​IMG]

So how did I do?!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    it's always a little hard to tell from photos, but i tend to agree with what i see at least [​IMG] how far along are the eggs? save your "clears" until at least a week if they aren't already, you should be able to tell more surely then.

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    How old are these eggs? 4 or 5 days? I can't see much... Maybe its just the pictures... [​IMG]

Anyway, judging from what I CAN see, I would say that it is too soon to abandon hope on that "clear" egg... It is probably clear, but can't afford to lose a single chick in my book, because I am an enabler!!!! [​IMG]

4. ChobeeChickenMommy

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    Ya I knew the pics weren't the best thats why I tried to draw the arrows. lol... I set them at midnight 11/11/11, hatch date is 12/1/11... So yesterday was day 5. I put them all back in my bator to "bake" some more & I figured I would candle again on day 10 or/& 12...

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree I would candle again around day 10 or 12. You should definitely see movement then. I also candle on day 18 when I set the eggs for hatching and look for any quitters. Good luck... [​IMG]

6. ChobeeChickenMommy

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL
    Quote:Awesome! Thank you! I'm only on day 6 & I am hooked already, lol... If this hatch goes well, I have convinced my hubby to let my buy some silkie hatching eggs for our oldest son for Christmas. [​IMG]

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quote:Awesome! Thank you! I'm only on day 6 & I am hooked already, lol... If this hatch goes well, I have convinced my hubby to let my buy some silkie hatching eggs for our oldest son for Christmas. [​IMG]

We know who will enjoy those eggs, and it won't be the son... [​IMG]

8. ChobeeChickenMommy

Sep 2, 2011
    Okeechobee, FL

We know who will enjoy those eggs, and it won't be the son... [​IMG]

[​IMG] Hahaha I know!! But the silkies are his "babies" so I'll get the fun of incubating & he will hopefully get a few new SQ silkies from them. (If I get them...)

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Nice candling!
    At day 7 at the very least you should see some veins, and possibly veins all heading for this black thing.

10. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Great photos! Thanks for sharing [​IMG] I def. see baby in the 2 pics you posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by