Update on my ducks.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by yarnchick, Nov 4, 2014.

1. yarnchick

yarnchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    [​IMG]Haven't been on for several months. Much to do at store. Also had several of my ducks to go to the big pond on your advice. I ordered 4 blue mountain runners. They came on July 30. They are now 3 mos old. Very much noisy lady teenagers. The 2 fawn/white runners that I thought would be drakes ended up ladies. Even though they are "barn runners" they are the sweetest babies. Dusty had a runin with a turtle this summer and lost about 1/8 - 1/4 of her lower beak. Also a puncture wound on top. I took her in and nursed her back in the house for 3 days. She got used to oatmeal slop. She has healed nicely and can eat just fine. One of my blues pushed herself out of my hand as I was about to set her back into fresh bedding at a week old. Done a little damage to something. She couldn't walk very well. I have had her in aquacise since then. She too has make remarkable improvement. She runs just as fast as the other girls. We have to much fun with them. They are so smart. I put the blues in the duck hut one time. That was enough. The to old maids watch for hawks and try to protect the blues. They will not go to bed at night until they get meal worm treats. I thought I had lost three of them the other day. Hawks separated one old maid and 2 blues and we found them a long way from their yard. Scared to death. Wouldn't even eat meal worms. They are getting back to normal now. But no eggs this morning. Sorry this is long but wanted to thank you folks for advice. The runner ducks are out very best babies. We love them so. And no bugs. :)

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Beautiful Runners, great update.

3. yarnchick

yarnchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    We have found out that lots of small pails of water set about and several places for them to take cover help a great deal. The pond they are in in the picture was out fish pond under the deck. Their hut is also off ground about 18-24 inches so they take cover under it. They have a plastic kiddie pool with a table over that. They sure get used to routine. My to fawn and whites are very loveable. The blues I hope will tame down a bit when they get older. My customers are always going out back of my store to check on duckies. This group is just the best. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by