Update on my Hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MyNameIs86, Feb 25, 2013.

1. MyNameIs86

MyNameIs86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    Okay. Day 1 was Saturday at 2pm. We are up to day 3. I have 24 eggs going. 23 good size eggs and 1 is small. So I decided to candle it . I saw a tiny black dot, floating. i guess it's fertile?

When I came home today I saw a temp spike from 100 to 102 and the humidity is 40. I added more water to it yesterday night because the humidity was 27%.. I hope it didn't do much harm.

Also I noticed on 2 eggs the egg shell as a ever so slightly crack. you won't notice it until you candle. Nothing is coming out of it.
    i didn't notice the outside of it until today cuz i candled and i saw it. it's similar to one of those paper cuts where you don't notice it until you go looking for it.

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    The ones with cracks need to be removed as they will eventually explode. Big smelly mess. Plus they will lose too much moisture which also is no good. You could try patching the crack with something but that's risky. Good luck with the rest.

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    If they are fertile I would try and patch them up but have NOidea how to do that. Brahmabreeder is right, they will eventually explode so you will probably want to get them out!

4. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    So I went through my eggs and found 3 that had cracks. I decided to open them into a bowl to see what i had... it is only day 3 but 1 saw a drop of blood in one of the cracked eggs. I guess it was fertile. The other 2 eggs had nothing but egg and yolk.

so now i'm down to 21 eggs. I candled all of them and no blood rings. I guess that is good.

5. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Oh. Yes that's good about no blood rings! Good luck wig your hatch!

6. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have 1 egg that has blood vanes which is good. the other 20 seem to not have anything. i'm getting a bit depressed cuz of it. i don't think the light that i had ordered on ebay works very well but if it can see vanes in one, i guess it's good right? I might try to use the flash light i used last year.

Its day 4 and 20 of em just seem to have a dark blob. But i had this issue last year and most of them hatched. But i really wanted to see the blood vanes like the 1 has.

7. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Oh, you will see veins sometime!!!! What day are u on!!!?? At least you can see blobs. That's good!

8. MyNameIs86

Feb 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    So today is Day 6... I candled 1 egg yesterday it cracked on its own. I tend to throw eggs out that are cracked cuz i can't see if the membrane is cracked since i don't have a picture of what one looks like. I like to take caution because I am a person who is extremely unlucky. :(.

I started with 24 eggs... now i'm down to 20 eggs of which so far only 9 are fertile (with blood vains). I think 1 egg is definite dude but i'm going to re-candle tonight.
    the rest 11 eggs are maybes. I think i spotted some blood vains but i'm not 100% sure. lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by