update on my hatchlings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ozark hen, Feb 16, 2008.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    here is an updated pic on my two week old chicks, actually they will be three weeks old next Tues/Wed. We were hit by the ice storm and were without power for a almost a week but I covered the brooder with heavy blankets/towels and they all survived!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To be honest, I was really afraid to look into the brooder as I thought they would all die from the cold. I had a thick layer of shavings on the floor of the brooder plus the blankets so it must not have been as bad as I thought. They did huddle very close together but they survived it!! I am proud of this little group. I just pray they all aren't roos!! [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awwwwwww....they are cuties!! So glad they made it through the cold...you a GOOD MOMMA HEN!! What breeds are they?

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    they are a mixed bunch. Eggs from buff orps, cochins, maybe one dominque and a red star? Those are my hens and they all lay in the same nesting boxes. I just went in one morning and gathered all the eggs that were there at the time. It seems that most of them were fathered by my blue cochins? Most have feathery feet. Only other roo at the time was a lt. brahma and his legs are feathered.
    I think it was pure luck they survived. Now watch...they all will be roos [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Without power for a week? I bet that tested your pioneer skills!

Cute chickies! They are tough little boogers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by