Update on my laying pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Southern28Chick, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I think I have 7 or 8 out of my 23 pullets laying now. Here's some pictures from today.

Here's Boo and Red Robin (I think that's Red Robin) in the nest boxes:
    [​IMG]

Turkey (EE), Prudy (EE) and an unknown White Leghorn have already laid theirs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Turkey's egg has these lil bumps on them:
    [​IMG]
    Squealer (Barred Rock) has been acting antsy all morning and is now checking out the top next box. I'm think her first will come today:
    [​IMG]
    Here's what I have in the frig right now. I just gave my parents half a dozen yesterday...should have given them a whole dozen:
    [​IMG]

2. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    COOL - I love all the colored eggs!

I'm going to have to get some nest boxes like that~!

3. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    I just went outside in time to see Squealer lay her first. It's wierd, it has white speckles.
    [​IMG]

The the four I just collected. It's a Barred Rock egg, then 2 RIR eggs, then another Barred Rock:
    [​IMG]

I had to get out a 3rd egg carton. That's 7 eggs for today...so far.

4. bamagirl68

bamagirl68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    central alabama
    Southernchick28, I am new to this and have not seen anyone use the stackable bins for nest boxes yet but I think that is a GREAT idea! I have some of those and may end up putting some in if my 5 nest boxes aren't enough. Does your barred rocks lay speckled eggs often? I have 3 BR chicks.

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I get a spotted egg every day too! I don't know who is laying it though. Is Squealer your barred rock? Maybe my Lucy (Barred rock) is laying the ones that have spots. How cool.

Your Turkey has the same thing my Cleo has, someone suggested using the organic apple vinegar in their water to help with this.

Extracted from "Optimum Egg Quality: A practical approach":

Sandpaper or rough shellsDescription
    The terms ‘sandpaper shells’ and ‘rough shells’ refer to eggs with rough-textured areas, often unevenly distributed over the shell.

Incidence
    The incidence is normally less than 1% of total production, but may be higher for some strains of bird. It is also higher in early lay, often as a result of double ovulation, which produces one shell-less egg and another one with extra shell deposits.

Cause Control
    Diseases, e.g. infectious bronchitis, infectious laryngotracheitis or avian encephalomyelitis Follow effective vaccination programmes.
    Defective shell gland Disturbances at the time a hen is due to lay can cause the egg to be held over for another day Minimise activities which create disturbances in and around the shed. Increase shed security to stop other birds and animals entering the shed.
    Incorrect or changes in lighting programme There should not be sudden increases in day length as pullets come into lay, or lighting changes during lay.
    Water shortages Make sure that the water supply is adequate, that there are no blockages in water lines and that drinkers are functioning property.

6. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:I have 2 Barred Rocks that are laying now. Boo usually lays plain brown but somethings has a few dark brown speckles on them. This is Squealer's first egg so I'll have to wait and see is it continues.

My nest boxes are stacked, bungee corded together and then the top on is screwed to the wall. That's the best way to do it or they fall apart.

I get a spotted egg every day too! I don't know who is laying it though. Is Squealer your barred rock? Maybe my Lucy (Barred rock) is laying the ones that have spots. How cool.

Your Turkey has the same thing my Cleo has, someone suggested using the organic apple vinegar in their water to help with this.

Yes Squealer is a Barred Rock.

Thanks for all the information. This is the first egg I've gotten that has those bumps on it.​

7. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Just got another white leghorn egg. So I have 9 that are laying, the only one that didn't lay today was Bertha. She laid a huge blue egg yesterday (it weighed out to be 23 grams) so that's probably why I didn't get one from her today.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Got another white leghorn egg. 9 eggs today. I have 10 pullets laying now. [​IMG]

9. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Are you planning to start selling eggs? That's a lot. I only get 4-6 a day and I still have tons of extras.

Are the bungee cords holding the nest boxes to anything or just together? I tries to use boxes like those and the chickens tossed them all over the coop, but I would like to find a way to make them work. I hate the ones I have now, but they're too heavy to move.

Congratulations on all your new layers.

10. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Yeah I'm going to sell the eggs. I only have 9 or 10 laying and I have 13 more to go. I'm going to be swimming in eggs soon.

My nest boxes are stacked, bungee corded together and then the top one is screwed to the wall.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by