Update on my roosters: speculation on breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheCorgiGirl, Aug 25, 2014.

1. TheCorgiGirl

TheCorgiGirl Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2014
    Weir, KS
    Hello! [​IMG] I have already asked this a long time ago when my chickens were wee little chicklets. However, now that my banty roosters are big(er) boys of 4-5 months, I was wanting to ask again if anyone can identify my babies.

[​IMG]
    Here is Roo, I believe him to be a Bantam Leghorn, or a OEG, but now I also am speculating Red Pyle?

[​IMG]
    Here is Phoenix. I am very, very unsure; I can only guess Old English Game?

[​IMG]
    And my newest boy here, just got him last night. he is a pretty little silver and fawn thing. No idea what he may be.

I appreciate the help if I get any. I am just very curious as to what they may be, and then what kid of crosses I can expect out of my hens. :)

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Roo appears to be a hatchery quality Red Pyle Old English Game Bantam. Phoenix is a Silver Duckwing OEGB. I'm not sure what your new cockerel is, but he is probably some sort of OEGB/OEGB mix. Cute little birds!

1 person likes this.
  3. TheCorgiGirl

May 20, 2014
    Weir, KS
    Quote: Thank you! I really love the bantys, they are just too cute!
    I was speculating some of those, thanks for giving me some insight!

but just curious, what does "hatchery quality" mean? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All three look like Old English Game or Old English Game mixes. The first bird is Red Pyle in color and Phoenix is Silver Duckwing. Your third bird I'm not sure on.

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    Hatchery quality simply means that they are not "exhibition quality." There are basically two types of poultry: hatchery quality/commercial and exhibition quality. Commercial birds are bred mainly for egg production or as pets, and can be purchased from most hatcheries. They resemble their breed relatively well, but may have certain problems--wrong comb type, slightly wrong color, etc. That is because the main purpose of a hatchery is to supply many breeds of chicken to people who want productive birds. Commercial birds make wonderful small-flock members, but wouldn't do well if entered at a poultry show.

On the other hand, exhibition birds are bred to look like what is described for their breed in the American Poultry Association (APA) Standard of Perfection. That book lists descriptions and faults for all APA recognized chicken breeds, and is used by many poultry showers to pick birds to exhibit and breed. In general, exhibition quality birds are larger and more massive in appearance than commercial/hatchery birds, and have richer, clearer color patterns. Exhibition birds can usually only be purchased from local breeders.

1 person likes this.
  6. TheCorgiGirl

May 20, 2014
    Weir, KS
    Well, since I'm here, I also had questions on this guy/girl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know they are not very clear pictures, but this chicken is the hardest for me to identify.

I thought it was a pullet, but I heard it crow this morning, and I know hens can "crow" but I just don't know.
    It has a short comb, and a big breast that dips in the middle.

Any ideas if it is a him/her , and what breed? I used to think it was a wonky RIR mix, butam now thinking Red Pyle or Red Pyle mix?

7. TheCorgiGirl

May 20, 2014
    Weir, KS
    Thanks! I never knew that, but I don't plan to show birds anyway :p Thank you for the plethora of information. It is always neat to learn something new!

8. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    If it crowed, then it is definitely a rooster. As for breed, he looks like a White Laced Red Cornish.

9. Bonster

Bonster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    Red pyle is a color, not a breed. I agree that it's either a Cornish or a Cornish mix.

1 person likes this.
  10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

This looks like a White Laced Red Cornish.

I think that its a cockerel, since pullets rarely crow- generally, if a female bird crows, its usually an older hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by