1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Update on my Silkie boy Yeti

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by stephys_fluffybutts, Nov 11, 2009.

1. stephys_fluffybutts

stephys_fluffybutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    Ok so I posted an Emergency a while back about my White silkie rooster that lost part of beak.
    Well he seems to be doing just fine [​IMG] He eats great and is very healthy.
    Sadly his beak will not grow back [​IMG] And I am hopeing if it gets down right cold he won't get frostbite. So I am crossing my fingers [​IMG]

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Thats great [​IMG] PHOTOS [​IMG] [​IMG] I love the name by the way!

3. stephys_fluffybutts

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    OH yes I certainly will tommarow ;D
    Quote:

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Hey Steph......I'm glad he's doing ok. I read that other thread, and it was heartbreaking. What a freak accident! How's he eating etc? I have two hens that were debeaked.....they do fine - I have to chop their food a bit, but they have a partial upper beak, how does your bird do it? If I remember that pic right, he had nothing on the upper part. Is it bandaged or protected somehow? Just curious....I so hope he does well! He's cute. Uh oh, does that mean Silkies are starting to look cute to me????? You just might be a bad influence on me! [​IMG]

5. stephys_fluffybutts

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    he lost that hard part of the beek. But the soft Pallet is still there. Well It completely scabbed over after he yanked it off. I am able to see the soft area now. It did harden a bit. Nope I didnt cover but left it be. I figured if I started putting gunky medicine on it then it wouldnt harden faster. All it needed was some fresh air rather then a suffocating bandage. Plus I would find it hard to put one on him. He finds it hard to even be pick up... He is a squirmy little guy [​IMG]

I feed him his crumble food and keep his water dish very clean. I find if I put applecider vinager in the water then it helps keeping his beak clean and germ free
    I fed him some treats yesterday. Some soft cooked rice, Peas and Tomatoes. He does ok with eating cracked corn. But anything bigger then that then he can't eat it [​IMG]
    I let him out yesterday in the yard. He does have a hard time eating grass. And because of his beak he can't grip. So he just kind of wondered all day [​IMG]

Quote:

6. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Glad to hear he's doing better. [​IMG]

I agree with Emzyyy, I think we need an updated picture. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by