Update on my wiggly blue egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mom 2em All, May 5, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I had a Black Giant hatch out two days early, and had a wiggly blue egg. These are from my disastrous USPS shipment. The blue egg wiggled and jiggled and peeped...for two days and two nights. Then stopped. The peep got quieter and then stopped. Nothing. I was prepared for nothing to hatch from these, but I wasn't ready for them to try and hatch and not make it. I was very sad, and finally I took out the egg and peeped at it. Nothing. then I put it back and waited some more. I talked to my husband- who is a terrible "help it' enabler. I talked to my egg. It didn't move- I spent so long just staring into the window of the incubator, hoping for a jiggle. Nothing.

Finally I decided that I had nothing else to lose. I was going to open the egg. I didn't post here because I didn't want anyone new to think it is okay to assist, to jump in, etc. I had many many variables Temps up and down, weird air cells, temp spike...etc. I was prepared for whatever I saw- even if I intervened and ended up killing the chick inadvertently (I think if you help, you have to realize that you may do more harm-and accept that responsibility).So, anyhow I took my little blue egg and I started to chip away the shell where the air cell used to be in the large end. It was so TOUGH! I had such a hard time breaking this shell, it just wasn't normal. Well, finally I got a small amount away, and there was dry feathers! Dry...what part of the chick was this anyhow in the air cell spot? This chick had its back in the air cell, I started zipping up the egg- found this poor chicks beak way up at the small end of the egg between its foot and wing. Big chick, It was so wedged and twisted in there..then it peeped! Very small weak peep.The membrane was moist at the small end so I stopped. No yolk, it was absorbed. Once I had the beak cleared, I could see it breathing, real weak. I covered the membrane with paper towel and I put it back in the incubator. I added a coffee mug of hot water. I just sat the mug right in there. I proceeded to watch him breathe for two hours. Never struggled. His breathing did get stronger. No peeping though.

I had to go to work, and had a decision to make. I took more of the shell off- sort of like left just half an egg, length-wise. I took enough shell off for its leg/head to clear, rolled the membrane to clear the chicks head then I added moist paper towel and put it in the incubator and hoped for the best.

I just got home from work and the chick is out and flopping about the incubator. It has a slight twist to its neck, and its legs aren't working that great- but I will give it time. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that it would have died in the shell- was dying when I helped. It was so large, and so twisted and 'breech'. This isn't going to be a production chick, it will not be used for breeding- no way to pass on its genes. So, no further worries except for it living a normal life now. Time will tell. Hopefully it will straighten out now that it is no longer crammed in that too small egg.

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice save, Mom!!! I don't help anymore either, but I do open eggs that I think are goners so that I can learn from them. Haven't had one end up still alive, though!!! I hope it turns out to be strong and healthy for you.

Lori

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Great save!

4. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    You saved a chick today, no doubt would have died without your intervention. I do intervene only when I think that it certainly will die without help.

5. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Louisiana
    Mom - It been 3 weeks .. what is the outcome of the wiggly blue egg?

Gate

6. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Gate,

What do you mean its been three weeks? [​IMG] Its only been a few hours. However, she is hanging in there...not real good at standing upright, and her little leg is real red where it was dried in the egg, (tightly, smushed). She does stand though, then flops. I can best describe it as if we (human) crouch down then run a few steps, then flop.
    I am keeping her in the incubator for now- she sure wouldnt make it in the brooder. One of her eyes is real swollen. My husband says it is because it was the eye stuck against the shell. I don't know- OH! I can hear her, she is quite loud. Lonely little chick- but if she is yelling maybe she is doing better. I want to give her a chance- and I feel maybe she will be okay. I should know in a couple days if she is going to pull through or not.

On a side note, my early bird, the BG, has a gimpy leg. He is not straddle-legged and gets along great, but seems one leg is quite stiff- more noticable at times than at others. [​IMG] Maybe I will be the home for crippled or otherwise maimed chickens.

7. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I just wanted to say that my little blue egg chick is still hanging in there..a little more upright than last night. Sure not normal though. Then again, nothing in my house is normal. It is very very good at running backwards. [​IMG] Now if it can just learn how to go forward.

On a real sad note, I just found my little Serama chick dead this morning. Lived perfectly fine for a week. [​IMG] I have no idea why it died. Was fine last night. Broodermates are doing fine. I did a search for more serama eggs to buffer my sadness, but then opted not to purchase and try any more. All in all, that was a very heartbreaking hatch- started at seven, ended up with one perfect baby, then this. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have six mystery eggs from my replacement shipment that goes in the hatcher on Friday, and then I have all those Easter eggers and Silkies that are on Day 6, and the australorps coming from Florida chick...no need to order anything else. (Just say NO!..to myself!)

8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Louisiana
    [​IMG] Mom I looked at your membership date of 4-20 LOL. I should be ashamed. Good luck with the Little Fella!

Gate *Without his glasses*

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If your little one is lonely you could add in a mirror or stuffed animal to give it company.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by