1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Update on my wrinkled laying egg hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farmer Kitty, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    In Speckledhen's thread on Zane and Lorilie we discussed the eggs and what could be wrong. I had posted the following pic of an egg one of my girls (Larissa) had laid and been laying like it.
    [​IMG]
    The update is that I had her (she had stopped laying) and Zoe who isn't laying in the adolesant pen. This last week one of them started laying. I found out tonight that it was Larissa! The eggs are really light almost white and have slight lining in them now instead of the wrinkles. I don't know if the time in the adolesent pen helped or what. I do know that I have another one (not sure who) that occassionally lays one. I had to put Larissa and Zoe back in with the other hens as I had adolesents arrive and needed the other pen. I'm going to start them on a handful of meat maker with their scratch and see if that helps!

2. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Somewhere on this site is a link to a university manual on eggs and how they are made and what can go wrong and why. I can't find it. Is there anybody out there who knows what link I'm talking about? This will explain why your hens' eggs are shaped funny and what to do about it.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I had that link, too, and I was trying to find mine. Maybe you gave it to me, cant remember. Ill look again and see if I can find it.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*so--what's different about the other pen??

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've seen the link and taken it. The only thing that could have applied was the cancer.

d.k.-nothing is different with the other pen really. It had a lot more grass due to it not having been in use before I put them in but, I give the girls grass in the other run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by