Update on odd colored Marans chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Katy, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't know if any of you remember the oddly light colored marans chicks that hatched from my cuckoos here awhile back or not, but here's what they look like then and now....they are the 2 chicks in the lower part of the first picture...[​IMG]

Dark one today...[​IMG]

Light one today....[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thats an interesting color development, Katy. Would love to see how he turns out as an adult.

3. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Very interesting and pretty. Does the 2nd one have a different comb? It doesnt look single to me.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I was going to mention that, too, Jordan, but I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

5. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Who did you get the maran eggs from ?? I seem to recall seeing someone advertising splash marans... maybe eggbid I'm thinking. Of course that looks more like barring doesn't it.

The one with the barring is very pretty !!!!!!!!

Julie [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:No he has a single comb...they're in a brooder in my coop so the lighting isn't the best.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:They're from my own cuckoo hens and roo. I've hatched from these same ones for several years and never had any like this show up before...which is what makes it so strange.

8. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

They are so pretty Katy! I would say they are keepers!

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Unfortunately they're both roos so at least one and maybe both will have to go. [​IMG] Need another roo? [​IMG]

10. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

LOL! Oh my! What a position to be in. How long do I have to let you know?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by