Update on Orpington sitting on 18 eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tufamily5, Feb 18, 2014.

1. tufamily5

tufamily5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Just wanted to give an update on the hatching situation and ask a couple of questions.

So far, she is still sitting patiently on her eggs, I figure we are about the 18 or 19 day mark, but didn't note exactly the day and hour she started sitting on the nest originally.

--Should we expect chicks anytime now, or is it typically a solid 21 days?

-- Is it okay to pick up the hen and check for hatching eggs underneath, i.e., handle them or turn them?

-- If we do hatch some eggs, when should we return the mama and her chicks back to the coop/run where the rest of our hens and rooster reside? Right now she is isolated in her own little coop.

Thanks for any feedback!

--Sarah

2. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    1.- When the weather is hot sometimes a few eggs might hatch in as little as 18,19, or 20 days but you can probably count on 21 days this time of year.
    2.- I always slide my hand under the hen's breast and lift her just enough to peek in to see if I see any new little chicken legs poking out of her feathers. I look & say "Well there's 6 more chicken legs." So I call all my chickens "chicken legs" and that's why it's my board handle. But it's best to leave her alone. The eggs don't need any of your attention. Plus my hens bite the heck out of me when I stick my hand in their box.
    3.- My hens are unusually mean & super agressive while brooding chicks so I have to put mine in a separate pen or they spend all day beating up my other hens, plus they camp out by the feeder and won't let the other hens eat or drink. Just a curious peck or getting stepped on by another hen can kill a chick so it's best to leave them separated.
    Good luck, you got a cool new little flock in the making.

3. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    My buff orp just hatched out 5. First ones hatched at day 20, the rest at day 21.

4. tufamily5

Feb 4, 2014
    Okay, thanks.

Yesterday I went out to the coop, and I decided to lift her just a little bit to peek at the eggs. Didn't move her much. I got a peek at a few of the eggs and noticed that one of the eggs had a large hole in it. The egg looked as if it had been pecked from the outside because the egg fragments were on the inside, and there was no noticeable sign of any blood. Actually, it was completely dried out, with crusty yellow yolk inside, and no sign of blood vessels.

Could the hen have eaten this egg?

5. tufamily5

Feb 4, 2014
    Well that is exciting. This is definitely a new adventure for us. How many eggs did you begin with?

6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    The big footed hen probably stepped on it. That almost always happens with large clutches and heavy hens. Hope you removed it so it won't foul the rest of the clutch.

7. mrstodd

mrstodd Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2013
    Do you have an update for us? :)

8. tufamily5

Feb 4, 2014
    Well, as of Monday morning we have had nine successful hatches and looks like we might have one more coming. We lost one baby whom we pulled out from under the mama flat as could be. I guess the hen sat on it in a bad position. Didn't know this could happen! Learning as we go...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by