UPDATE on POST 2 -- Eggs just growing or New Hen Laying???? PICS

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
We got our first egg from my (suspected) White Plymoth Rock since her egg was brown (had thought she might be a White Leghorn Cross)!!! She has given us an egg the past 2 days by 9am. Today no egg at the morning check. Just went out and found egg #3, but this egg is about double the size of the past 2.. Now I know eggs will get bigger as they lay, but do they get bigger that fast??

I do have 1 other Red Sexlink girl that is getting VERY close to laying and just started squatting.. Could this be her first egg??

Thanks

01-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
So we went to eat egg #3 tonight & we found a double yolk inside.. Might account for the bigger shell
smile.png

0628111820.jpg

Is it possible another hen layed that? Hard to believe a girl could put that out on her THIRD day! Plus, it looks to be a different color?

I only have one girl laying. Her first egg was gigantic. Her second and third were small. She laid a double yolker her first week. It's totally possible it's the same girl. However, my girl's eggs have been close in color if not dead on the same. So, could be a different girl too. LOL I'm a big help.

i have no idea, but i wanted to say
wee.gif
thumbsup.gif
CONGRATS!

i remember when i got my first eggs, i was sooo eggcited!!

Day 2 I caught my white hen laying on the egg, so I know its coming from her.. Also I will get pics, there is no denying she is the one laying (huge red comb/watlle and the rest of the girls are pale pink barely any wattle/comb, except for 1 red sexlink hen who is getting red & a bigger comb).. The eggs are almost identical in color, I know its hard to tell from the crappy cell phone picture, and also the first two seem to have darkened slightly in the fridge. But looking at them side by side they match so close in color (pale brown)..

I am thinking my sexlink girl is getting close (like ready to lay within next 2 weeks), but I figured she would lay darker brown egg.. All 6 girls are 16 weeks (today) and I also have a 13 week old banty!

Todays larger egg also came 6 hours later than the previous 2 days found times!!

Last edited:
Also even though the egg was larger and had a double yolk, the yolk size was a perfect size match to day 1 & 2 eggs and all 3 were yummy
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom