1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Update on Purely Poultry

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chick-a-dow-dee, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Chick-a-dow-dee

Chick-a-dow-dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    I've been looking through some online reviews of Purely Poultry and noticed some were posted by members of this website. They were not favorable but they were also old reviews. Has anyone had any recent experience with them? I'm a first time chicken buyer and want Easter eggers and some brown layers. Just interested in your experience and thoughts. Thanks! :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I don't use Purley, I use Ideal. But here is the thing...getting mail order has much more to do with your post office then it does with the hatchery. Ideal has a really bad name in the north because the chicks spend 2 days with post office employees that don't read the box or know how to care for anything live. They are based in Texas and have a great name down here in the south because many of our post offices are used to getting mail order animals and some even have stations set up for them. All hatcheries make sure that the chicks are healthy when they leave them, it's the stress from shipping that kills them. If you want to know just how bad the post office is then take a carton of store bought eggs and mail them to yourself with a label on the box saying this side up and fragile hatching eggs. Put the carton in a walmart sac inside the box because I can almost guarantee you they will come in upside down and broken. This is why people that ship eggs have special packaging to try to prevent breakage. The post office treats the hatching eggs better then a loud annoying box of peeping chicks. The shorter the shipping distance the better your luck with getting healthy chicks. Also, look into gro gel, they should sell it and one packet will work. You feed it to them as soon as you get them and it reduces the stress in the chicks. I like to make a little sugar water for them the first 2 days to help as well. Call your post office the day before you are expecting them and tell them to call you when they come in. This will result in a call to pick them up between 4:30am and 8am. If you can pick them up it prevents them from having to spend all day in a bouncing hot truck waiting to get to your house.

2 people like this.
  3. Chick-a-dow-dee

Feb 10, 2014
    This is awesome info especially since I live in Texas!! I will do just that! Thanks!!:)

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Being from Texas you might want to look into idealpoultry.com. They have reasonable prices and free shipping in the state. They have a min order of $25 but not on the number of chicks. If you don't order enough chicks for warmth they will send "packing peanuts". Packing peanuts are a random assortment of chicks that didn't presell for that hatch. If you order a large number of chicks they add in a few more of the same breed just in case. I order my broilers from them and have never had a problem with them. Last time I ordered 50 broilers and got 57. Their customer service is the best I have seen in a long time and they have an advertised specials section (scroll towards bottom of page and click link) that is huge and cheap.

5. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    Purely Poultry, we will not be recommending them to any of our customers. Placed an order, was told when they'd ship - called to check at post office (its Friday-chicks shipped Wednesday we were told ) and they blatantly lied about shipping an order, lied about checking a tracking number that never exsisted when we called back and pushed back our order at 5pm on a Friday (they are closed on weekends) so we cannot contact them, they're keeping our money even tho no goods were provided, so we can't even order from another place. Horrible experience and we were previously good customers. Sad they treated us this way. Just order direct from Ideal, skip the purely poultry hassle we just had.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  6. Chick-a-dow-dee

Feb 10, 2014
    Good info, thanks!

7. Angelicisi

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    This order we were waiting on arrived a week late. It was a box of almost all dead, squished chicks, video and pictures were taken, sooooo sad and gross. We contacted them immediately and we were told we would be refunded. Have Not received the refund yet, still waiting. Could be up to a week Megan with management informed us. I'll update if/when our funds are returned. They've had our money since 5/30/14 and sent us dead meat chicks. We are now 2 weeks behind in our own business plans due to this. If a company can't provide their goods they should have the courtesy to tell us AND refund our money asap so we can take our business to someone who can.

8. Chick-a-dow-dee

Feb 10, 2014
    Oh my gosh that's horrible! I hope for your sake they make this as right as they can.

9. Angelicisi

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
    They refunded the dead chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by