UPDATE on Seagull: She's been within 20 ft of the coop the entire time

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LuLuBelle, Jul 24, 2011.

1. LuLuBelle

LuLuBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Richmond, VA
    Soooooooooooooooooooooo................ today I was watching some TV and out of the corner of my eye I saw Seagull again.... she found the cat/dog/ chicken waterer behind the grill. SO I went outside and scooped her up and put her back in the coop. I let her calm down and I just observed her for the afternoon from afar. I noticed while everyone else was chillin' and relaxin' she was pasing back a forth like a worried mom... just pasing and only looking in one direction.

So we decide to let the chickens out to play in the backyard and my husband keeps an eye on where she was going. She took a strait walk to a 6" diameter piece of PVC pipe. So my husband got down on his hands and knees and sure enough, she has goon broody. She has set up a nest and has laid some eggs and is sitting on them.

So now we have a dilemma, do we pick her up and get the eggs and call it a day or do we swap them out for some fertile eggs... OR do we really have a rooster among them??

[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    They don't need a rooster to go broody so the fact that she has gone broody doesn't mean there is a rooster in your flock. However it does mean that the eggs she is sitting on won't be fertile. If it were me, I would swap them out for some fertile eggs for her to hatch - but its your choice as to what you do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by