Update on Silkie moms and their amazing mothering

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kchristie77, Dec 5, 2011.

1. kchristie77

kchristie77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    New Jersey
    My 2 silkie hens (under a year old) hatched out some chicks together, as a team. I put another chick under them which they adopted thanks to the advice on this board. A blue birchen marans that is thriving. Also an older egg hatched in my incubator he went out with them yesterday and was accepted.

But the cutest of all, the blue birchen marans fell from their nest (yes I have to get them to a safer place) and one of the moms went down and sat on him until help arrived! The other stayed with the other 4 chicks. I can't believe my luck to have such devoted moms, and TWO!

Maybe this spring I will get some really rare eggs to hatch under them they'll probably do a better job than my incubators!

2. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

That is just so awesome...love that..good mommies...but pics are a must....

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    A silkie huh?

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Silkies are awesome sitters and Momma's, they are fierce too when it comes to protecting there youngins' too. [​IMG]

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Now that's something I just have to look into.

6. bigg

bigg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Tullahoma, TN
    today my silkie hen hatched three chicks and she wouldnt even let me close to them they are excelent broooders.

7. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Aww.....what sweet mommas!! [​IMG]

8. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    One of my Silkies is a hatching machine and she has hatched several clutches with her hatching buddy Aunt Lou, a bantam biirchen cochin. Silkie Mama doesn't really let Aunt Lou do very much, aka, steals her eggs and chicks to siit on, but Aunt Lou doesn't mind. She's in there and she's broody and she thinks she's doing her job. Once hatched, She just clucks around and gives the babies rides on her back, then they go sleep under whoever Mama they feel like. Usually Silkie, since she's so pusy. But I think they enjoy the company, I truly do.

9. kchristie77

kchristie77 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    New Jersey
    Yes this is amazing. I got a great pic of the two moms today. Luckily they aren't being peck-y when we put our hands in there which is great because I have small kids. Maybe because they are new moms they haven't gotten fierce yet. These 2 moms are only about 8 months old. But....I need to figure out how to upload pics on BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by