UPDATE on Silkie with Head Tremors NOW:Impacted Crop PLEASE help ASAP!

ChickenChik

Songster
9 Years
Apr 10, 2010
Kinsey, Alabama
Well a couple days ago I posted that my silkie was shaking his head almost like a convulsion. I checked his crop then and it seemed normal. Well my hubby came in today and said that he saw him throw up "clear liquid" well my first thought was "impacted crop". Sure enough I go out and his crop was huge so I started to massage it. When I did he threw up a TON of stuff. He seems a little better after that but now he is coughing like he is trying to get up more. Treatment so far: I have isolated him without food. I tried to get him to eat some bread soaked in olive oil but it is night time so of course he is not going to eat. I also be a small amount of ACV in his waterer. It is night so he is sleeping but every now and then he tries to cough more up. My questions is what do I do now? When do I give food back and when I do what do I feed him? I have plain yogart that I can give him but I am not sure when to give it! If anyone could give me ANY more info I would appreciate it. I have had a hard time getting answers lately so any response would be wonderful. Thank yall so much!!!

ETA: When I was checking over him there was NO foul odor coming from his mouth so I do not think it is sour.

Last edited:
Does the mouth smell? Look inside, any yellow stuff? I have a hen with Canker and it seemed like sour crop to me at 1st. She will shake her head and clear liquid comes out of her mouth. She also was not eating. I wish I could help, but I do hear that bread is not the thing to give. If it is sour crop, massage the crop, withhold food and give mineral or Vegetable oil. I have read contradicting info on the apple cidar vinegar, some say it helps, but I have read it is bad too. If the crop remains full overnight, I would suspect sour crop. Give the chicken a good physical and report your findings.
How does the abdomen feel? Any smell? How does the feces look? Has she been fed any grass (hand picked by a person) or hay? Do you feel any lumps in the crop?

edit: any grit available for the chicken? Free range or in a run?

Last edited:
As stated before that is no smell and I had him very close to me! There have been tons of misleading info that is why I figured I would come straight to the source. I read that bread soaked in olive oil will help libricate the crop. When should I add food/yogart?

Back
Top Bottom