Update on snake in nesting box

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Attila the Hen, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I posted a discussion about a large black king snake I found in the middle nesting box waiting for the chicken to lay the eggs he was eating. I tossed him over the fence and later regretted that it wasn't far enough away. I believe I have inadvertantly killed him.
    I had a large pink marble egg in the box and it is gone. I cleared out the coop and it is nowhere to be found. Poor creature must have died an awful death and I really liked that egg!

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Don't let anyone fool you, snakes can spit out an egg. I have three egg boxes and one day I picked up one of my ceramic ones. It was wet and slimy. I thought what on earth. Then in the next box was the chicken snake. He had figured out it was not real and spit it up. I don't think you have killed him. Gloria Jean

3. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    That's fascinating. So where did my beautiful marble egg go? It must have weighed a few oz. It was heavy. And, I haven't seen the snake since. Of course, it could be hiding under the big box they all sleep in and is just staying out of my way--although my egg count has gone back up to almost normal. I think it's gone but I do hope it coughed it up because I hate the thought of it dying like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by