1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

UPDATE: On Teen Health Issues

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by KinderKorner, Oct 12, 2009.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Alright guys. I know I posted a topic a few months back. About my upcoming heart surgery and my worries. I promised I would keep everyone updated and I must say I slacked off and didn't. I supposed it didn't really matter. But I guess I should at least let everyone know how it went. First off thanks for everyones prayers and thoughts. It's been a stressful time.

For those who didn't see the last thread here is just a little fill in.

I got 2 heart surgeries as a child. Then 2 lung surgeries and a minor heart surgery the past year or so. I have a rare uncurable lung diease as well. I am 16.

Well when they were searching for a cure for my lung diease they found my old heart repair had caved in and needed quickly fixing. So on Aug. 18th I got open heart surgery.

Everything went pretty well. But my heart was acting a little strange afterwards. They figured it would fix it's self after a few days. But it didn't.

My heart rate stayed in the 50's. Normal for my age is 90.

Everytime I fell alseep my heart would stop beating for about 6 seconds every few minutes. And stay down in the 30's. Night after night doctors sat in there and watched me, and it woke me up everytime it messed up because an Alarm would go off and scare the livin daylights out of me, and restart my heart.

It made me very sick to my stomach.

So they tried different medicines and some kind of IV drip. Two drops would speed me up to like 130. Which pounded so hard it shook my bed. So they had it turned down to like .002 ml.

It kept my heart up, but it was very touchy and would shoot up really high. It also caused me to be jittery, and not sleep. Plus it was an IV so I wasn't able to go home.

I had 8 IV's. A neck line. And I got stuck a total of about 16 times. My poor arms were so bruised, the lines kept blowing and swelling.

After 10 stressful days in the ICU. With no sleep, and constant different things they tried they finally put in a pace maker.

Now my heart stays at a constant 60. Which is still low but is enough where I can move and stuff. All my muscles are gone because I wasn't allowed to lift anything for a month.

I'm feeling pretty good. Although I get tired easily, and i have to be careful about moving suddenly and such. I passed out in the shower once and had to be taken back to the hospital for a while.

My chest still hurts especially when I sleep, cough, bounce, or pick up things.

I'm not suppose to go horse riding. But I did the other day and I collapsed the top part of my lung. Oops. It hurts. But it's starting to feel better.

But overall, I'm alive. And I thank God I'm starting to get better. I will never be like I was before. But at least I am very greatful for being able to do the things I do. And no one can tell I am different than anyone else in public.

It has been a hard rocky journey. But right now, I'm on the mend. And hopefully this will be the last time I will have any major problems. And perhaps even it has cured my lung diease by chance.

Again thanks all for your support. God Bless.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Prayers for your speedy and full recovery.

Take care of yourself and don't push yourself too fast.

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Kinder,

Thank you for the update, I'm glad they finally figured something out for you. I will keep you in my prayers for a full recovery and specifically for the lung disease to be healed. I can't imagine how scary that must have been while they were trying to regulate your heart! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nancy

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Makes me so sad when someone so young has to go through all that stuff.

5. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, Kinder. You are amazingly strong for your age and you have a beautiful spirit. Let it shine! [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Kinder, the fact that you are posting is a testiment!!!!! Keep going, keep fighting, keep enjoying life. [​IMG]

7. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

You are an amazing young person. I am in my late 30's and dealing with a 'heart thing'. Your testimony makes me realize that I am indeed blessed and should be spending more time living and less time worrying.

Thank you for the reminder.

8. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks everyone.

It really did make me realize a lot of things.

I was in the ICU the entire hospital visit, because my heart wouldn't continue beating. But physically I was fine. I did walking laps around the ICU. (It's a big circle) The nurses loved me. They said I was the only child to ever be in the ICU and be able to walk around. Because yes. This was a big serious childern hospital. Everyone else in the ICU had cancer, or brain surgery, or was living on a vent.

So although I was having trouble. I knew there was lots of other kids in there that were worse off than me, and would of loved to be able to walk.

I thank God everyday, that I had something that was somewhat fixable. Instead of cancer or something of that sort.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    What a brave, strong person you are! I wish that i had your type of strength. Good luck with everything. Wishing you a speedy recovery. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:Atta girl!! Love your attitude ..

Have they mentioned implanting an AICD. It would pace your heart as well as shock you back into rhthym if it stops..

I'm sure it would be a last resort ..

Scary stuff, girl .. you're so tuff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by