Update on the black orps (pics)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sara, Sep 8, 2008.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

My black orp chicks (sandhill preservation lines) are now 7 weeks old, and really growing. They are very slow feathering in. Some still don't have all their feathers. I have 8 of them, but I think only 3 pullets. Hopefully I'll be getting eggs from Catalpa Farms soon. These kids are not very cooperative in the picture taking department, but here they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    pretty girls !

Henry

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Aw, they are so cute. I can't wait to see how they fill out. All the ones pictured appear to be girls. That's a good sign. [​IMG]

Jody

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Thanks! I only took pics of the pullets so far, just to show I can hatch a pullet [​IMG]

5. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    Sara,
    Your pullets look very nice. They feather slower than your other breeds because they are soft feather birds. As you have probably noticed you Lavender split Ameraucanas some feathered slower than the others because they are softer feathered than the other ones. I toe punched all the harder feather birds because they will not be as fluffy when full grown and don't want to cull them because the Lavender gene don't have the same appearance with soft feather birds as they do with hard feathered birds. If you ever look at some nice Self BLue OE game bantams their color and feather texture is real nice and clear and tight and don't have that shaggy tail look. HS

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Harry,
    thanks, that's great information. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by