Update on the Flock w/ pictures

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SDChef, May 19, 2010.

1. SDChef

SDChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Hey everyone, so I have set up a nice sized area of my veggie garden for the flock to roam during the day, it has nice cover from overhanging bushes on one side and I added a dog house full of Pine shavings. other than that birds of prey would have a hard time seeing them. I am only letting them out there when I am home for now but eventually they will have it all the time. I have decided to build a nice pen for them at night with the three doghouses that I have on hand. The Pekins are getting JUMBO, so for anyone who is looking for a good meat bird Metzer has some nice ones. The two of them will be my breeding pair, I know that one (in the front of the pictures, in the water) is a female for sure since she wont stop quacking now, both are starting to turn white and feathers are coming in. The Runners are getting their second growth spurt and I can now see feathers coming in on their tails. The Goslings are starting to get feathers everywhere and are twice the size of the Pekins, they might need to be separated soon to prevent accidental injury to the runner's. Anyways everyone seems very healthy and lively! they love being outside in the San Diego sunshine! anyways here are the newest pictures from today

Playing in the water
    [​IMG]
    These two runner's are Riley (Black Drake, I hope) and a Blue Runner
    [​IMG]
    These are all three goslings just munching on grass
    [​IMG]
    And my female Pekin washing her muddy mouth. My Chocolate runner is in the back left, she is the runt.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. AmyinNC

AmyinNC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    They are all so beautiful! I love that you decided to share part of your garden ..I've been thinking of doing the same when I let them roam. Can't wait to see what the pen looks like when finished! They look so happy [​IMG]

3. SDChef

Feb 6, 2010
    Quote:Thanks! I think they are happy! They love munching on the overhanging beet greens, but the beets are almost ready to harvest so I don't mind. I also forgot to add that they are 3 1/2 weeks old today.

I also heard that Ducks and geese love to eat mint? if so I have a TON that they can have.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  4. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    I love their yard. You weren't kidding, those geese are HUGE! LOL. Yep, I think next year will have to be my year for them for sure! Great set up. X2 on pics of the pen when you are done!

5. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    beautiful ducks! [​IMG]

6. SDChef

Feb 6, 2010
    Thanks everyone, they are one of the most stressful yet best things ever. I can't wait for the next update...

7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Is that a tote box buried in the ground?

8. SDChef

Feb 6, 2010
    nope, it's actually the lid to a rubbermaid tote, I'm not quite ready to give them much more than a few inches of water. I am going to buy them Kiddie pools this weekend but they wont swim in them until next monday or tuesday, supervised of course.

9. JosieR

JosieR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    So cute! They look like they're having a great time [​IMG]

10. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Yep, nice set up you have for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by