update on the mystery chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by plfreitag, Jun 25, 2008.

1. plfreitag

plfreitag Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2007
    wright city mo
    My mystery pullet is 11 weeks old today. I got pics yesterday and here they are. You can see her comb and all, thank goodness for my inexpensive but good digital camera!

I still don't know what she is but I'm thinking along the Wyandotte line because her comb is like the Whites I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone help me out?

I'm bummed because 3 of my 5 Marans are boys and with a total of 43 girls in the group once they're integrated I don't think 5 roos (these plus one Ameraucana and a Turken) are going to share well. We may end up eating two of them. I hate the thought, but hey...it's part of being a chicken-mama.

Trisha in MO

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Is she a pure-breed? She almost looks like a cross between a golden laced wyandotte and a black australorp! [​IMG] Very pretty girl... but I'm really not sure. [​IMG] Hope someone will help you out. [​IMG]

3. plfreitag

Jun 28, 2007
    wright city mo
    Haha....the hatchery called her a "mystery chick." I have one Ameraucana with more of the lacing like a Gold Laced Wyandotte. This one is really lightly laced; the other one has more heavy lacing.

She was a freebie along with the 5 Marans because we drove 4 hours to pick the chicks up and they had mistakenly shipped them. Unfortunately I thought all the Marans were pullets. My bad.

Trisha in MO

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    She looks like some of my black sex links

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Also looks a LOT like my dark cornish at that age.

Are her legs and feet very yellow? Also, is the skin yellow? If so I vote dark cornish.

I've got 5 of them right now about a month ahead of your guy that I picked out of the 'asst pullet' bin at TSC this spring. They looked just like that chick about a month ago - with very yellow legs.

6. plfreitag

Jun 28, 2007
    wright city mo
    Quote:I have Sex Links. She doesn't look like they did. They have copper in the upper chest area and they are BLACK. Besides, their combs are a bit differerent. Thanks though.

Trisha

7. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]i vote for dark cornish , i have 3 and they are very friendly, good layers of brown eggs.
    \\

8. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I think dark cornish as well. [​IMG] Here is a crummy pic of mine.

[​IMG]

9. plfreitag

Jun 28, 2007
    wright city mo
    Quote:Legs are yellow but not really really yellow. I have Turkens with legs the same color. I think her skin is white. With 35 chicks in the small coop area I can't get hold of her to look. I'll have to look tonight.

Trisha in MO

10. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I agree with the Dark Cornish. She looks just like my Petunia! Her legs started out a lighter yellow, but now they are most definitely YELLOW, like the smilies. [​IMG]

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by