Update on the rescue meaties - pg.2 - another one cheats death

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Jul 17, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    The rescue meaties have been with me for 22 days. I'm estimating their age to be around 6 weeks old now. They are all doing great. Only a few of them (3 cockerels) are getting larger than normal. A fourth one was but I convinced him "Baby" to spend more time moving around and less time sitting in front of the feeder.
    My one problem at this point is a nameless cockerel that is very stubborn. I spend their free range time taking him out of the brooder with him kicking and screaming the whole time and putting him down outside. He immediately makes a beeline back to the brooder. I hesitate to close the screened door, blocking his access to the brooder because the other chicks like to come and go. So now I park my chair in front of the doorway and he spends his time figuring out how to dart around me.
    Well, at least he's moving. [​IMG]
    Kinda sad really that these birds can become so conditioned to being raised inside, discouraged from moving around, that it frightens them to do anything else. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    LOL! I'm glad that you're getting him moving! I wouldn't be surprised if your meaties have a long, happy life especially with being smaller than normal and free-ranging.

3. smileybritches

smileybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

would you come to my house and sit between me and the computer?? [​IMG]

4. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Gracie has become my meaty shadow. I could tell myself that she just loves me, but I know she's figured out that by following me everywhere she can catch the crickets and grasshoppers I stir up walking around.
    Tonight while Gracie was happily foraging in the yard I attempted to slip up to the big birds coop to check for eggs. Got halfway across the garden when I realized that Gracie was following me. Okay, Gracie you want to be a big shot. Get aload of these big birds. All my brahmas leaned in to get a closer look at Grace. If it's possible for a chicken to climb the human body, Gracie sure did. Help Mama! They're gonna eat me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    I can tell you one thing for sure. If I didn't have 2 dogs and 2 cats in the house, Grace would find herself being a house chicken.

6. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Smileybritches, it is not nice to make someone choke on their Saturday evening glass of white wine.

Glad the meaties are doing well.

7. TheMadChickenLady

TheMadChickenLady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010

I think I need you to do that for me, too!
    [​IMG]

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas

I think I need you to do that for me, too!
    [​IMG]

I dunno. Are y'all as fast as this little meatie? He may be fat, but he dodges well.

9. smileybritches

smileybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

The fat part I got covered, dodging eh..not so much. [​IMG] I think its great that you take the time to retrain this guy to be a chicken. Hopefully once his brain is rewired he will be out and about.

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:What I'm finding out with these meaties is that once they catch their first bug, they're hooked. After that first taste of a juicy [​IMG] cricket, they can't wait to go out each day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by