update on the runt not doing so well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stargazingmommy, May 9, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    We isolated her 3(? I think) days ago. she has had free run of the chick starter in the brooder. I've also been feeding her a mix of raw oatmeal, yogurt, and boiled egg yolk. In the time she's been isolated she's nearly caught up in size to the other 2 chicks, and become quite attached to my oldest daughter.

snickers(the dog who tries to mother them) has provided a sleeping spot a few times, and here was very worried that the chick was on the kitchen stool

[​IMG]

I think in another few days I'll stick her back in with the others. She has been going outside for play time with them, so she's not a stranger to them.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Awww, how cute she is!! [​IMG]

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    And such a cute dog too!!!

4. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    thanks...snickers I trust with them, always supervised though. she's so gentle and mothering, just like with our kitten when we got her. The other dog...I won't let in the same room with them. don't trust her a all, she killed one already. snick goes in the run with me every morning and sits and whines at the coop, where the chicks are throwing a fit to get out, until I open it and she can make sure they are ok. The cat gets within 5 ft of the run and snick chases her off.

5. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    What an amazing dog!! How'd you train it to do that? Or was it just something she does?

6. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    It's just how she is...I wish the other dog were like that also...
    Snick is 6 yrs old or so, border collie lab mix the vet thinks. She's just the sweetest, most goofy dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by