Update on the Sticktight fleas, and a SNAKE?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lswatson111304, May 29, 2010.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    First an update on those nasty sticktight fleas that we had on our new chickens. The day I posted about them I made a paste of viper powder and vaseline and smeared it on the fleas. Then I dusted them with the powder, and dusted the ground with DE.
    Went in the next day and the fleas were dead but still attached.
    We went on vacation for 3 days and came home (my neighbors fed them, but didn't dust). When I checked them...the fleas were GONE! They fell off on their own and my chicks look great. I will continue to dust for a few weeks to catch any eggs that may hatch but they werent as miserable to get rid of as I thought they would be.

Now...on to the SNAKE??? We came home last night from our second half of vacation and all our chicks were fine. Woke up this morning and we had a dead one. It looked like a snake had swollowed it halfway and then spit it back out. It was slimey up to the "shoulders" it was still soft when we pulled it out of the coop, so it couldn't have been long. There is no evidence of anything making its way in, so I can only assume snake..and now I'm scared...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by