Update on Uma: debate of roo or pullet!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicknhawaii, Jul 26, 2011.

1. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Aloha all!

I haven't been to the boards in awhile due to life and the fact that there was nothing really happening with Uma.

I was nervous the members who said she was a roo were correct and we who believed she was a she were WAY off base. She started SCREAMING one morning and there were a couple of days she actually CROWED. [​IMG] I about flipped out. I googled to see if there's such a thing as a crowing hen but didn't find anything conclusive.

ANYWAY, it was confirmed 100% on Satuday that Uma, at approx 4-1/2 months old, is indeed a HEN. [​IMG] She laid her first egg! We weren't home to experience the event but we were home yesterday (Monday) and today (Tuesday) to hear all of the crazy screaming & to see all her agitation pacing, shredding paper, etc. So 3 eggs in 4 days, so cute!

Here are her 3 eggs:
    [​IMG]

And here's Uma:
    [​IMG]

TY for reading!

2. HenCrazyMom

HenCrazyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Merrifield, MN
    Way to go Uma! She is beautiful as are her eggs![​IMG]

3. chicknhawaii

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    TY much! I think she's beautiful too but I'm biased hehe. Bantams are cute but have a feisty edge!

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Our seramas were 1/4 the size of our Isas and made 10x the noise! They were also higher in the pecking order than the Isas too! She sure is a pretty girl!

5. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Quote:Aloha!

WOW! She is gorgeous! I love her silver color and if you look on youtube there are such things as crowing hens.. It is so funny to see and the fact that I also had a couple of hens that crowed and others that just crow out of the moment it was quite a sight! But congratulations this seals the deal that UMA is a HEN..lol.. P.S. Be careful cause she will get broody and then UMA will be really feisty are she screams and gets grumpy. Love her tinted eggs they are so cute!

6. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    Congratulations!! Way to go Uma! I'm sure that the sight of those eggs brought much relief. [​IMG]

I have a two month old game pullet (I'm hoping) that is starting to display some rooish behavior/coloring in comparison to her sister. I really hope she isn't a he. I am so attached to her, I don't know if I could give her away. This waiting for gender confirmation is nerve-wracking!

I do have a little wild game hen that visits our yard everyday. She cracks me up because she crows whenever she hears a neighboring rooster. I know she is a female because she has a bunch of little ones following her. Her crow is so cute! It sounds like an adolescent roo who is trying to find his voice. [​IMG]

7. chicknhawaii

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Quote:HOW CUTE!!! I hope your she isn't a he too! The waiting is unbearable however...Uma started laying a little on the early side so maybe yours will too. GOOD LUCK!!!

8. chicknhawaii

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    Quote:Aloha!

WOW! She is gorgeous! I love her silver color and if you look on youtube there are such things as crowing hens.. It is so funny to see and the fact that I also had a couple of hens that crowed and others that just crow out of the moment it was quite a sight! But congratulations this seals the deal that UMA is a HEN..lol.. P.S. Be careful cause she will get broody and then UMA will be really feisty are she screams and gets grumpy. Love her tinted eggs they are so cute!

Her silver is my fave part along with her wings which YAY NEVER CHANGED pattern! [​IMG] She is a grumpy thing with all her screaming and grumbling. Although her cage is on the small side, she likes being in there although she is getting used to going outside to free range. She never goes too far and she does follow me. It's funny lol...TY for looking at the pics!!!

9. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    Quote:HOW CUTE!!! I hope your she isn't a he too! The waiting is unbearable however...Uma started laying a little on the early side so maybe yours will too. GOOD LUCK!!!

I really wouldn't mind if she turned out to be a roo, but I think my neighbors would have a different opinion. My neighbors are fine with my girls, but are always complaining about crowing coming from somewhere a few houses down. I don't think he is loud at all. He crows at about 6:30am and at dusk before the sun sets. It's not as if he is crowing continuously all day long. I guess everyone has a different tolerance level. It makes me sad though to think that I would have to get rid of Blossom if she turned out to be a he. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she'll present me with some eggs in the near future.

10. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Wow! She is a pretty girl! I can see why you were confused though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by