UPDATE: Orps, Bearded Polish, Barred Rock, Frizzle Cochin

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by deedletree, Sep 29, 2010.

1. deedletree

deedletree Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    San Mateo
    Here's the link to my original post, introducing my five birds, two of whom I suspect are cockerels:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4833110

I have new pictures this week; the birds are now 6 and 8 weeks old.

Here is Echo's feather development under her wing. I'm sharing it in part because I find the view underneath a young chicken's wing incredibly cool. It looks to me like a squatting person:

[​IMG]

Antonia is fully feathered.

[​IMG]

Fluffy's comb has continued to develop. He now has red streaks at the upper margins of his beak:

[​IMG]

Nancy is looking more and more like a rooster to my eye, though his comb has not grown much. The region around his comb is redder than Billina's, but the comb itself is not larger than Billina's. Likewise, his legs aren't bigger than Billina's, but rather his knees are just knobbier. And, his hackle feathers aren't pointy, but have a stringier look than Billina's.

[​IMG]

During their free-play time, he stands in a way that makes me think "roo".

[​IMG]

Billina, on the other hand, feels like a pullet to me.

[​IMG]

Am I really wrong about Nancy? Could he be in the clear?

Fluffy suffered an illness during the first week I had him. In case his illness was viral and he's now a carrier of something, I'm not attempting to re-home him. So, he and Nancy, if they turn out to be roosters, will be living out their lives with us, until the sad moment when they begin to crow.

2. deedletree

deedletree Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    San Mateo
    Uh-oh. I meant to post this on the "what breed or gender is this" page.

How do I delete it???

Ugh, learning curve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by