1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

UPDATE: Orps, Polish, barred Rock, frizzle Cochin (picture heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by deedletree, Sep 29, 2010.

1. deedletree

deedletree Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2010
    San Mateo
    Here's the link to my original post, introducing my five birds, two of whom I suspect are cockerels:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4833110

I have new pictures this week; the birds are now 6 and 8 weeks old.

Here is Echo's feather development under her wing. I'm sharing it in part because I find the view underneath a young chicken's wing incredibly cool. It looks to me like a squatting person:

[​IMG]

Antonia is fully feathered.

[​IMG]

Fluffy's comb has continued to develop. He now has red streaks at the upper margins of his beak:

[​IMG]

Nancy is looking more and more like a rooster to my eye, though his comb has not grown much. The region around his comb is redder than Billina's, but the comb itself is not larger than Billina's. Likewise, his legs aren't bigger than Billina's, but rather his knees are just knobbier. And, his hackle feathers aren't pointy, but have a stringier look than Billina's.

[​IMG]

During their free-play time, he stands in a way that makes me think "roo".

[​IMG]

Billina, on the other hand, feels like a pullet to me.

[​IMG]

Am I really wrong about Nancy? Could he be in the clear?

Fluffy suffered an illness during the first week I had him. In case his illness was viral and he's now a carrier of something, I'm not attempting to re-home him. So, he and Nancy, if they turn out to be roosters, will be living out their lives with us, until the sad moment when they begin to crow.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I still believe Fluffy is your only boy. [​IMG]

3. deedletree

Jul 8, 2010
    San Mateo
    Thank you! I've got a big dorky smile on my face!

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Nancy looks identical to my "Big Girl" who is 8 weeks. Grats on having mostly girls!

5. deedletree

Jul 8, 2010
    San Mateo
    I guess I'm anthropomorphizing, and conflating "shy" and "assertive" with "cockerel" and "pullet". So glad to get to keep Nancy! She and Antonia are the two that lead the pack in exploring the yard, etc. . . so it would be sad to break them up. And, darnit, I like all my birds!

6. deedletree

Jul 8, 2010
    San Mateo
    Quote:I took a peek over at your "Big Girl" pic, and totally agree!

7. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Fluffy is adorable! and yes he looks to be your only roo, but keep an eye on Nancy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by