UPDATE PAGE 3 : EMERGENCY : Hen with possible heat stroke

She drank some just now. She is still lying on her side and unable to get up. I have an ice pack under the towel for her feet. Do you think that is too cold?

So sorry for your troubles! I've never had this happen with a hen, but for my guinea pig I put damp towels on her, and then let a fan blow over her. Are you sure it's heatstroke?

I think so because it's really hot out there today and she out of everyone doesn't like the heat. She is a buff orpington.

She feels hot to me too, her comb and feet

She is taking water and seems very thirsty.

Her feet and comb feel much cooler.

she is still out of it, lying down on her side, feet out and not trying to get up.

If you have one, put a fan on her also.
Gatorade/Peidalyte would also be a good idea to get some electrolytes in her.
I hope she does OK for you.

Try to see if she'll eat some food. You could try yogurt, bread, cooked egg (not too hot), tomatos, vegitables . . .
How is she acting? Is she looking around and curious, or is she lethargic and sleepy?
It may help to take the ice away and put a small fan on her. It may cool her off more quickly.

hang in there, it may take hours for her to recover and slow recovery is fine. Not sure about the ice, but if her comb and feet are cooling, might be better to put a fan on her to keep her cooling but without the more harsh temp of ice....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom