Update page 4, hamster pics. WHO KNEW!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvmychicknkids, Aug 11, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Alright, quick beginning to this story. I was at the pet shop getting mice for my snakes. Some kid is there trying to sell them his hamsters. They told him they were full and turned him away. He left and dropped the box in the parking lot and drove away. I couldn't just leave them to die and the pet shop people refused them even after that. So I rush them home still not knowing what is even in there. It was two adult females and about 10 babies. Only one of the females was being nursed and we actually saw them eat the heads off 2 babies. I took the extra female out and now just have the mother and babies together. She ate two more right after that, but seems to have calmed down now and the babies are nursing. Are they still in danger or will she stop now that she is not being bounced around? I have had lots of hamsters but NEVER a mother with babies.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Give her a pile of food and a calm environ and she'll quit eating babies.
    It's a stress response in this context. Sometimes they eat the ones with defects, though.

Are the babies pinkies or furred?

Hamsters cannot share a habitat, so if the babies are furred they may need to be pulled out.

Later on, after she's calm, give her an empty tissue box and a wad of tp and she'll get busy making a nest.

Check the other female for injuries in case Momma beat her up...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    The babies are pinkies but pretty large and starting to look a touch fuzzy so they don't seem to be brand new, though I have no clue how long it takes them to get their eyes open and such. Yeah I figured it was because she was so stressed. First thing I did was put food right by her and she ate. She is in my bathroom with the door shut for privacy. The other adult is fine, no injuries at all. She is in a cage alone in my middle son's room. His hamster died of old age recently so he was kinda happy to get her. [​IMG] I just finished holding her a bit ago and she has a very sweet personality. It amazes me how cruel people can be. It was a black shoe box with no air holes and in the sun. [​IMG]

4. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Yelp, I agree with wegotchickens....... She is stressed and will continue to eat them as long as she feels this way or thinks her babies are in danger!! I would put her in a quiet room and make sure she has plenty of food. I also cover the front of the cage with something so that she could not see anything moving around her. Goodluck with your new babies..... [​IMG]

5. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    HAHA, it is funny that you said you put her in your bathroom.... That is where I was gonna tell you to put her. I had mine in my master bathroom

6. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    LOL...it is so funny, I am psycho about my bathroom. Won't let the kids use it without practically getting a doctors order saying they can't stand in line at theirs, but EVERY stray that happens by gets to live there for a time. *sigh*

7. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Chances are the boy was told not to come home with the hammies. It happens.

Is the lone female looking big around the middle? Watch out for her...

If the newbies are getting fuzzy they're probably around 1 week old. It'll be clear when they are weaned and mom wants them out; She'll start knocking them around. That'll be in 2-3 more weeks. By one month old you can rehome them. But don't put the females back together again or they'll fight. Only certain kinds of hammies can live together successfully. They can share until about 2 months old and then they get territorial.

8. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:OMG!! That is so much like me it ain't funny! I have a stray kitten that "found me" who is living in there right now.

9. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:If it was sweet and didn't bite your son, then it was played with and handled nicely during it's life. And it wasn't mistreated recently or it would nip first, investigate later.

And an ignorant parent would insist on a box with no holes for fear the hammies would get through the holes and be loose in the car.

Thank you for rescuing them. Sounds like an angel was watching over them [​IMG]

10. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yeah, you can tell they haven't been treated badly...they look healthy, though not as chubby as I think a hammie should be and are very nice. I was kinda worried about the possibility of the other one having babies too. She isn't fat right now though. Hopefully not.

Oh, there is no possible way I could have left them. I couldn't live with myself if I did. I am sure the extra female will continue to live with my middle son (he named her Georgia) and I will start beating the pavement looking for homes for the others. [​IMG]

I have had stray dogs having puppies in my bathroom, stray cats having kittens, a baby bird, the list is endless of what my bathroom has taken in. LOL And of course, brooders full of baby chicks!!! LOL

Oh my....I can't believe in my freaking out over her eating them, I actually forgot to say thank you both for your help. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by