UPDATE: Peanut 4 weeks (pics pg2)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Attack Chicken, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Lil Peanut along with his/her 3 hatchmates are going to be 1 week old tomorrow but Peanut dwarfs them in size? He/she is twice as small as his/her other hatchmates. Perfectly fine, running around, eating/drinking. Had a problem with pasty butt but I think thats gone, also more tamer and lovable than the other 3.

Do I have a dwarf quail? LOL or am I just being stupid and thinking that [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AC

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Probably failure to thrive, don't be surprised if it doesn't live much longer.

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    If it's any comfort, I had a button quail that was half the size of its hatchmates after the first couple of days. IT caught up and is a healthy adult now. I also had a coturnix baby that did the same -- grew much, much slower. It's not only the boss of the bunch, it's the king of the pen. It's the male that got left in because he behaves better than the others do!

That said and out of the way, what the others have suggested is more likely. However, so long as it is eating and drinking, and not in pain, give it a chance.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  4. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks. I really hope this little girl/boy makes it. It's got a personality like none of the others but I do understand is he/she doesn't make it. The egg came cracked in the mail so I put candlewax over the cracks, come hatch day he/she fought to pip and zip around the egg and made it out!

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It might pull through, but considering it is so much smaller and hasn't yet started to feather when the others obviously are, I'd think it probably won't survive.

6. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    He/she does have the pin feather wingfeathers as of right now.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    LOOK UP RUNTING/ STUNTING SYNDROME. THERE ARE RUNTS IN BIRDS. MANY DO HAVE CONGENITAL DEFORMITIES INTERNALLY AND DONT MAKE IT AS SHELLEY SUGGESTS, THE MORE DEMUIR AND DOCILE NATURE OF YOUR LIL FELLA MAY ACTUALLY BE A SIGN OF THAT. THE FLIP SIDE THERE ARE SOME THAT MAKE IT. ALL YOU CAN DO IS GIVE IT PROPER CARE AND WAIT N SEE [​IMG] (JUST IN CASE ITS NICE TO PREPARE FOR THE WORSE CASE SCENARIO NOW...)

8. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yeah I figured he wouldn't make it pass the few days but somehow did. [​IMG] I really hope he/she catches up, was my only Tibetan that hatched.

9. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    How is Peanut doin'?

10. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Lil Peanut's doing great. Running around eating/drinking. With the addition on the small pin wingfeathers also getting in tiny breast feathers slowly but surely. Will take more pics at 2 weeks then 3 and so on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by