(**UPDATE PHOTOS**) Dog chewed through chick leg what do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JaimeRoxMySox, Dec 29, 2016.

1. JaimeRoxMySox

JaimeRoxMySox Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    My puppy got a hold of my 4 month old polish chick and chewed it's leg. The bone sticks out when the leg is bent. The bone also appears to be fractured. I soaked the leg in salt water and flushed the wound under the tap. I shaved the area clean and now the leg is air drying. What should I do? I have blu-kote and nu-stock. I also have oral antibiotics mixed in chick feed from the vet. Please help me save this chick. Or will she only suffer a long death?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(**UPDATE**)

It's been 10 days since the injury. She's still alive and "well". Drinking, eating and pooping. Unfortunately her leg isn't doing any better. It's hard to tell what's healing and whats getting worse. Her bone is still exposed and despite the splints I put on, her leg is starting to bend into a frozen position. I've been trying several different remedies... saline, betadine, iodine, blue-kote, nu-stock, neosporin, peroxide, band-aid glu, super glue, even honey. I keep it wrapped with vet wrap and change it everyday. I switch up the treatment every few days not knowing which one will work best. I've considered amputating her leg... but at this point I'm not sure if that'd be better for her or what. I just don't know what to do and I wont put her down until she decides to give up. She's a fighter... I just wish I knew what to do for her. I would of had her to a vet already if my money didnt already go toward filling my oil tank this month. I'm doing the best I can for her. Any suggestions on what to do or whats going on with her leg would be appreciated. I've noticed the past few days that her food is turning pink... not sure if its from the bandages being too tight so I've tried to loosen them some. Her thigh was all yellow under the skin and now its turning into hard brown scabs or something. I just hope the leg isn't dying. Anyway... here are some graphic update photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Wrap in with some sort of bandage to reduce swelling.In the mean try to make a hammock for her like this.

I would try to find a avian vet.

[​IMG]

3. JaimeRoxMySox

Feb 6, 2013
    I have to thank you for the hammock idea. I had wrapped the leg up with a splint and the poor thing was freaking out trying to walk and keep it's balance. I didn't know how to keep her out of her own poop or how to feed her water safely. I came on here hoping for answers and your hammock idea was exactly what I needed. I used a small dog harness and it's working perfectly. She's no longer freaking out. I have her in a dark room to sleep now that she's calm. I will call around tomorrow and see if I can find a vet to help. Thank you.

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    What state do you live in,I can do it for you.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Betadine or Vetericyn would be good to apply to the leg, then try to get her to a vet or local emergency animal hospital. Avian vets are harder to find, but would probably be best. Just having a compound fracture through the skin is a good setup for infection. There are more pics of chicken slings and chairs if you Google it. Good luck.

6. JaimeRoxMySox

Feb 6, 2013
    (**UPDATE**)

It's been 10 days since the injury. She's still alive and "well". Drinking, eating and pooping. Unfortunately her leg isn't doing any better. It's hard to tell what's healing and whats getting worse. Her bone is still exposed and despite the splints I put on, her leg is starting to bend into a frozen position. I've been trying several different remedies... saline, betadine, iodine, blue-kote, nu-stock, neosporin, peroxide, band-aid glu, super glue, even honey. I keep it wrapped with vet wrap and change it everyday. I switch up the treatment every few days not knowing which one will work best. I've considered amputating her leg... but at this point I'm not sure if that'd be better for her or what. I just don't know what to do and I wont put her down until she decides to give up. She's a fighter... I just wish I knew what to do for her. I would of had her to a vet already if my money didnt already go toward filling my oil tank this month. I'm doing the best I can for her. Any suggestions on what to do or whats going on with her leg would be appreciated. I've noticed the past few days that her food is turning pink... not sure if its from the bandages being too tight so I've tried to loosen them some. Her thigh was all yellow under the skin and now its turning into hard brown scabs or something. I just hope the leg isn't dying. Anyway... here are some graphic update photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by