[update &&& PHOTOS!] Hedgehoggg Babbbiesssss !

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Emzyyy, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I think my female may be expecting but I can't be for sure. I got a male a couple months back. Anyone know how I could tell if my Nutmeg is gonna be a mother? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Poke her belly. If it pokes back then yes.

[​IMG] Just kidding! How exciting it would be to have baby hedgehogs!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  3. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Its been years since I had hedgies, but I can't really remember a behavioral difference when Hoover was gonna have her little pincushions. She was as active and cantankerous as ever, if a bit fatter. My advice, though, is to start researching hedge-hog friendly sources of calcium and other nutrients. We did research on breeding, and nowhere did it tell us to add anything to our food. But after the little things were born, poor Hoover's helath declined rapidly. We took her to the vet who said she had deficiencies (this was the 90's and I was a teen so I can't remember what all) and gave her some stuff and us some instructions to help her recover. He told us not to worry, but she died. It was devastating!!! Her two little boys were thankfully old enough by then to survive and we had them till the end of their natural lifespans. I have missed them since. I would LOVE to have a hedgehog again...
    Anyway, back to your question. The only way we knew Hoover was gonna have little ones was because my parents witnessed the breeding. Our first attempt was unsuccessful: we had just gotten Wicket (whose prior owners just had a newborn and had to rehome hime) and we put him and Hoover on the couch. She bit his foot and he screamed! So we did research. Little known fact: female hedgehogs go into heat only in the presence of a male. Once she can smell him, it takes a while for the hormones to kick in. If you put them together too soon, the more aggressive one will be territorial. So our second attempt was closely supervised to make sure our girl was gonna be nice (hence the witnesses) and it went much better.
    Baby hedgies are so funny! All naked and prickly....I am so jelous!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2010
  4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Quote:Thankyou. [​IMG] I had a male before this pair. He was sorta an albino peach color. He wasn't completly white but had the red eyes. [​IMG] He died of cancer a few years back. [​IMG] My hedgies now LOVE cottage cheese, yogurt, mealworms, sometimes a little lunch meat, apple sauce, and alot more. We feed ours Special Kitty Kibble but we add things to their diet so I'm sure it makes up for whatever may not be in the kitty kibble.

5. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I bet a baby hedgehog is so cute, I never seen a baby one. If you do get babies please post pics. [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    If she has babies.. you"ll HAVE to post pics!! [​IMG]

7. bantamamba

bantamamba Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Mine always adored cottage cheese and mealworms!! I had two salt and pepper females...the first one was quite small and young and had to be put down within a few months due to inbreeding-relating health issues. The first few nights at home she would only not make a fuss if I had my hand in the cage for her to cuddle up next to...so I ended up spending a few nights with her cage right next to my bed with my arm dangling in to it.

The second was with us for many years...a great grumpy puss she was. I made a pouch for her out of a wash towel which I hung across my chest, and she'd sit in it for rides, with her nose occasionally poking out. Her favourite thing in the world was to be taken to the beach and dig in the sand.

I miss hedgies so much. Super cool little creatures...but they're really not a pet for everyone. If you do have babies, please do your absolute best to make sure they get appropriate, knowledgeable homes...

Good luck, regardless!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  8. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    How exciting! I've just been looking into possibly getting a hedgehog. They are so darn cute. You must post pics of the "Momma-to-be" [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  9. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Quote:I have photos. [​IMG] BUUUT I wanna take new ones the ones I do have are from a year ago. So I'll snap some tomorrow of Nutmeg and Halwyn. [​IMG] The cage used to say so much cleaner before the male. Nutmeg only poops in one corner. Halwyn poops EVERYWHERE! Then sleeps in it! MALES! So they get lots of baths. [​IMG]

10. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I went to check on Nutmeg last night. Two little prickley babies! [​IMG] Looks like their were three & one didn't survive though. [​IMG] I seperated the male. (He will eat them.) Their nursing at the momment. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by