UPDATE PHOTOS hen straining, liquid clear poo, squishy air crop?

Bocktobery 10

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2010
I wish I didn't have to be bothering anyone on BYC again about another sick hen, but here I go.

I did some research already and I haven't really found anything conclusive, so I'm bringing it here, hoping if anyone has any information to share.

I just noticed this about two hours ago- My 2 year old Rhode Island Red (hybrid I think) hen was standing off by herself near some bushes straining. I watched her for about 5 to 10 minutes- it was constant straining- or rather- just that thing that a chicken does when they are trying to tap off some poop from their vent. (Sorry, that wasn't tactfully put, but I think you understand).

I brought her in and gave her a warm water soak and checked to see if it was some sort of egg blockage. Instead, I found what looked to be a rubbery long 'cord' for lack of a better word- I pulled it out when I had her in the warm bath as she helped me get it out, pushing. It looks to me to be the rubbery lining inside of an egg. I had one hen a few years ago who passed something like this (It actually did the same thing then too) I don't think its a tapeworm or anything. If it is, its a very very very large one about 3 /1/2 inches long. ?

So, I wanted to make sure she could eliminate and it took some time before she let out some clear liquid with some off white liquid mixed in it. I thought maybe she did this because she was nervous to be with me and all the attention she is not used to, (She is not one of my tame hens, put prefers to stay away from me as much as possible) I also thought maybe it was a signal that she has a fever- as hens who are in hot weather will 'poo' clear liquid if they are too hot. I did just take her out of warm/hot bath a few minutes earlier... and she did feel hot to the touch on her comb when I brought her in, so I don't really know how to interpret that.

The other thing I noticed is that her crop feels like it is full of air. I also noticed it feels like there are tiny rock pebbles in there too- like maybe she had been eating gravel for her gizzard, I don't know. She also had something on her lower belly, between her legs that when I pushed up on it, it seemed like it bothered her- she'd close her eyes.

I gave her some treats to see if she would eat... She went for it as if excited, but right after she put her beak down to it, she got disinterested. ?? I was thinking by that time that the only problem was that she had that thing coming out halfway out of her vent and it was annoying her, but now I know that if she put her nose up to treats that she is really not feeling well.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Rhode Island Red (some sort of hybrid) 2 years old and she is on the small side

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Not acting like herself foraging, but just kind of going off to the side, not moving much. She just basically stands there.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

Just today, not long ago at all. She seemed fine this morning.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No, but I've had other hens exhibit this before. (I lost all of them in a matter of months)

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No, but she has lost all her back feathers due to rooster mating. She won't wear an apron and I'm worried that she might have been scratched by the rooster- she does have some red marks, but they are not infected or open or inflamed.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

She's always been a skittish small bird. Nervous. I have no idea if that would make any difference.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

She seems like she has- I saw her and her 'buddy' hen at the compost pile just yesterday.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Only saw one elimination so far since noticing she was doing poorly. It was clear and runny, like liquid, with off white cream color spots in it- also liquid, yet a bit more solid.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Just a warm/hot bath. Blew dry her feathers. I want to administer some antibiotics, but I don't know which one. I think maybe I should do some deworming too and treat for mites just in case. (All my flock is due)

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Treat myself if I can.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

No pics, no wound- looks like a normal hen, though her crop seems to be protruding out a bit too much.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Housing for this hen is in a 3 by 8 foot by 8 foot tall section of my coop which she shares with two other chickens at night. I free range my flock. Bedding is pine chips. A bit of wheat straw.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or if anything, what over the counter chicken antibiotic I can get her started on? I don't want to just start anything. If it was not a Sunday I would try and get some Baytril from my vet for her, but even at that, if its sour crop, I might need something else like an anti-fungal.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
HI,

Update- She eliminated again- It was the same- clear fluid with off white murky stuff in it. She did take a drink of water for me. I don't think she's touched any of her food.

Here are some photos of the thing I pulled out of her vent. It looks like a tapeworm, but I don't think the 'head' of it at all looks like how the head of one should look. The last bit of it was hanging out of her vent, the rest I pulled out gently.

This is what I call the 'head' of it.

For size comparison, here is my thumb next to the 'head' of this thing.

If it is by any chance tapeworm, what de-wormer is the best for that?

Anyone know exactly what this is? I do think its something for eggs. I've been suspecting one of my two RIR's been laying rubber eggs.

I think that is the collapsed membrane of an egg. The rest of the egg might still be in her, causing infection. The lump you felt in her might be old egg material that is solidifying and adhering to the oviduct, which is bad news.

Thanks tofupup,

Yeah, she's not looking too well today... She's hot to the touch, so I'm quite sure she has an infection. She's not moving too much today. She is drinking water, but I don't think she's eating.

That sucks. There is no avian vet nearby who can get you some antibiotics? If not, maybe you can buy some online for future emergencies. Maybe you can ask the online place to expedite the shipping.

That sucks. There is no avian vet nearby who can get you some antibiotics? If not, maybe you can buy some online for future emergencies. Maybe you can ask the online place to expedite the shipping.
I think I'm going to take her to the vet. I'm a little wary about using or purchasing the Batril online- I don't know it its legal as I thought there was some sort of restriction on Batril due to some complications in humans. ? I really don't know for sure, but rather be safe. I sell my eggs, so this is something I just don't want to mess around with unless a vet ok's it first, but thanks for the link.

Oh, I see. Right, humans aren't supposed to eat the eggs after a chicken is treated w/ Baytril. If you don't mind letting me know what the vet says, I'd like to know how s/he recommends the hen be treated. Good luck!

I think I'm going to take her to the vet. I'm a little wary about using or purchasing the Batril online- I don't know it its legal as I thought there was some sort of restriction on Batril due to some complications in humans. ? I really don't know for sure, but rather be safe. I sell my eggs, so this is something I just don't want to mess around with unless a vet ok's it first, but thanks for the link.
human amoxicillin is used on chickens as well. Just make certain that it's the type of antibiotic you need for what's wrong with your chicken

Back
Top Bottom