1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Update(pic) Can I put day old banty chicks under a standard size hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LIzzieann, Mar 31, 2015.

1. LIzzieann

LIzzieann New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    Or will a standard size hen squish banty chicks? I have a bared rock that has been sitting on eggs for over 2 weeks and I have banty chicks coming on friday.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can. I had a turkey hatch and raise some standard chicks for me.

Are the eggs she's sitting on fertile? If so, you'll want to coordinate hatch with the new chick integration. Otherwise, you can just do it when they arrive. I have good luck putting them under the hen at night when she's sitting tight. Then I check a couple times every 20 minutes to make sure they haven't wandered off. The older the chicks are, the less likely they'll take to the hen.

1 person likes this.
  3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Barred rocks are very friendly, not sure if she will adopt and take care of them though. Message MICHAEL O'SHAY I find him very friendly and loaded with infos.

4. LIzzieann

LIzzieann New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    Thanks! All went well. The hen has done a great job keeping all 17 warm and alive even though it got in the mid 30's last night[​IMG]

5. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    now that's just awesome! no signs of her rejecting them at all? so cool

6. LIzzieann

LIzzieann New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    No rejection. The day they arrived in the mail i let them feed and drink to recooperate from shipping. Then at 9pm i went in the coop with a flashlight and took 2 of her 4 unfertile eggs and put 1 chick under her, 1/2 hour later I placed 3 more under her and then waited until 4am to put the other 13 chicks under her and remove the remaining unfertile eggs and i left her alone. After about 4 hours I returned to check and she was talking up a storm to them and i sat from a distance in the coop and watched them peek out from under her and ocassionally one would jump out and get on her back and peck at mommas eye and she was wonderful. This morning I wanted to make sure all were still alive and none got squished so i put a towel over her and gently lifted her off the nest and all the chicks were alive and active. She layed back down and they all ran under her wings:):)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I bet she's happy as a clam. Now let her do her thing. No more worries - and no electric heat source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by