1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Update! Pics of Nieves ....Pg. 2

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RioLindoAz, Feb 3, 2008.

1. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hello everybody!!! [​IMG]

As youknow I haven't been here in 2,000,000,000,000,000 years litterally. :|
    I was gone because (chat people know this) my computer has not been working but now I got a new computer!!!

I see this forum got new smileys! very cool! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] those may come in handy [​IMG]

The reason I'm here is cause I need to tell you this:

Today when I was out side I noticed my chickens' nesting box needed a bit of re-designing so I cleaned it out & added a !TON! of fresh leaves from my tree into it. That way, they'll be more comfortable laying. After I fed them a sat down to watch them (like I always do) Then my rooster, Mumble, better known as the Chicken-Duck, went into the nesting box, followed by Nieves, My white silkie. Mumble started to dig a fort looking hole with the leaves. He kept digging untill he reached the ground. Then he got out and Nieves got into the hole. She started to arrange the leaves in a suitable manner. Then I stuck my head in the nesting box and Mumble started to bark at me (he litterally barked) I instantly took my head out and kept watching. Then I noticed that Nieves started to put leaves on her back. Then, she started to puff her feathers. That second I knew she was broody but with no eggs under her. So I got some fertile eggs and put them beside her. She suddenly tucked the eggs under her. Then the other hens came. But I was surprized she didn't get mad one hen started to help her put leaves behind her back. I thought I was dreaming, especially because that hen was the most meanest hen ever!

any comments will surely be appreciated.

Thanx,
    Chicken_Boy

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  2. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    LOL!! Sounds like your roo is a real gentleman!! Welcome back, by the way [​IMG]

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

That's too cute!

4. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I have a roo named Mumble. But mines the devil incarnate. :|

5. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Arn't roosters just the neatest critters. I can't get over how gentelmanly some roosters can be. My huge Ameraucana roo has 6 new girls that are just starting to lay. Yesterday I watched him jump into a nestbox. He was just a talking away all the time. He scratched up the shavings and layed down and talked some more. He finally jumped out and one of the new hens jumped in. He continued to talk to her and pace back and forth for awhile. It seemed to take her forever but the roo stayed with her until she layed her first egg. I was totally in awww of his behavior. How do roosters know their hen is going to lay their first egg? How do roosters know a hen is suppose to lay that egg in a nesting box?
    Does age and experience help. The roo has been with 2 older hens and I don't remember ever seeing him do this when they started laying.

Chicken Boy, I had 2 hens sitting on the same nest. They shared the eggs but when one got off the nest, the other pulled the eggs up under her. They took turns taking breaks and the eggs were always being kept warm. This was good since the temps here in MI were in the single digits at that time. I now have 8 little banty cochin chicks in the house. Both hens stayed with the chicks the first week, one hen stayed another week. I now have chicken dust on everything in the house. [​IMG]
    Did the hens purposely do this, share the nesting duty? There are 6 nests in the coop. They chose to both nest in the same box.
    I think babies or errrrrrrrr eggs bring out the best in hens. Maybe the mean hen is hoping to help sit some eggs. [​IMG]
    Good luck with your broody.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2008
  6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Your story is very similar to mine because this was her second egg [​IMG]

7. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Today, for some reason, Nieves started to tear feathers of of her chest and Mumble is still waiting outside of the nesting box!!! ....what a waste [​IMG]

8. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Here is a pic of Nieves as a child I'll soon get some of her on the nest.

[​IMG]

9. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hello? :|

10. Fancy Feather Poultry

Fancy Feather Poultry Cooped Up

May 30, 2007
    Hi [​IMG] *waves*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by