update pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DragunzGirl, Nov 9, 2008.

1. DragunzGirl

DragunzGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Ok well i will update you on my last hatch. There all doing very good. There at 2 weeks now.

I have a long box there in right now.

[​IMG]

Here is my boy friends moms FAVE one, no idea what type she/he is

[​IMG]

Here is my fave lol it came from a little egg.
    [​IMG]

And some of the chicks have a claw missing on both feet, its like the middle toe. ITs not on all the chicks but some. Is that a type of chicken?

Here is one with a missing claw on each foot.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That's odd. I don't know of any breeds like that, but I've never claimed to be an expert!! [​IMG] Very cute btw!

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    The second pic looks like an EE

What cuties they all are [​IMG]

4. chick2good4u

chick2good4u Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my RIR has a toenail missing from the middle toe of each foot. I think it's a genetic anomaly. Congrats on the babies. They are cute! Mine hatch in two weeks!

5. DragunzGirl

Aug 9, 2008
    Thanks alot. And im guessing it is genetics. There little pigs they eat and drink so much lol.

OH when will i be able to tell male from female?

also you said one looked like a EE what is the full name for the EE? so i can look that up lol.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  6. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    EE is Easter Egger, kinda like a watered down Auracauna.........

Are you sure they were born with out the toenails, or did they get pecked off? Either way, they look like they are getting around fine without it.

So cute.

7. encmanerabbitry

encmanerabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2008
    Tilbury, ON
    I think the second photo looks like my little phoenix chicks.
    But I think it's an EE too, the others look like EE's too.
    Very cute chicks! Congrats!

ETA: I also have some that are missing the nail, I've even seen that in my button quail.

8. alalele

alalele Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Livingston Parish, LA
    The 2nd pic looks like my EE's from Ideal when they were getting their wing feathers in. They lay grayish green eggs about medium size.

My Roo (Black Australorpe) has toe on each foot that is curved in at the joint. Then I read it was a genetic thing and he's done fine with it. It doesn't function like the others but he can perch and do everything normally with his feet because of the other good toes.

So I don't think the missing toe nails shouldn't be any problem for the chicks. Since it's probably genetic the only thing is you may not want to pass on the genetics unless you want the chicks for your own flock. That said, I'm currently trying to hatch out some eggs that were fertilized by my crooked toe Roo because I adore his temperment and he's a beauty.

9. DragunzGirl

Aug 9, 2008
    well that 2nd pic "small chick" came from a small light brown egg. I thought the chickens were black/white well thats what was in the coop i got the egg from. Its just that chick is very small i mean when it hatched it could fit in the center of my hand, its only 2 weeks old and is the size of a regular hatched chick now.

And i got 4 chicks with the middle nails missing, it dont look like they were pecked off or any thing, so ya i think they hatched like that.

any way when will i be able to tell male from female cause i only want maybe 2 roos and a few hens out of this batch of chicks.

also is there some type of chicken called sexwing or something like that i can't remember name dang it but the black chicks are them.

10. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    Sex- link maybe? My black sex-links were black as babies, they boys are yellow as babies I think....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by