Update: Plant math equals or surpasses chicken math

Eggscaping

Enjoying Life!
Dec 4, 2018
Lakeside, Oregon
Some of you have read the posts by New Boots and I about selling our Portland home of 29 years and moving to Lakeside, Oregon, where we will finally build a coop and run and get a flock of chickens!
Well, we are in Lakeside now, on a double COMPLETELY BARE lot (and we love to garden). The chickens will happen next spring after a fall and winter's time to build the coop and run, but for now, we plant.
Today we visited a wonderful nursery in Coos Bay, run by an awesome 80-something gentleman who walked us through his gardens. It went something like this:
"Oh my gosh, look at that blooming cardinalis! And those manzanitas! Get the silvery one and the red bark one to start. And...is that an aloe? Look at the color of the flowers! What's that, Mister Gardener? This plant has gorgeous foliage in the spring and hosts HOW MANY species of native butterfly larvae in the spring? We must have one of those! Oh good grief, that penstemon is to die for! And those hardy fuscias! And...and...smell the foliage on this agastache - and it's covered in skipper butterflies! Yes, we want five pounds of white clover seed to sow in our mongrel grass so the bees can have clover blooms and the soil can be enriched with nitrogen! Oh, yes, please add at least one pot of calendula - the hummingbirds love the pretty blue blooms!"

We are lucky to have found a gentleman who is happy to be paid to dig many, many holes around the perimeter of the yard so we can start our hedgerows - the ground here is mostly sand, so we have to amend, but the digging is the hard part, at our age/s. And next spring, rabbits and chickens will add to enriching the soil. And off we go! :wee

Anyone else fall victim to plant math? I'd love to hear about it if you have!

I did that when I started gardening years ago. I quickly learned not all plants were compatible with my ground, and my way of gardening. I have spent thousands on plants, and trees, and shrubs that never survived long term.

Now 20 years later I'm much wiser about what will make it and what won't. I did enjoy the journey of gardening, so it wasn't all a loss.

Make sure to get those trees and shrubs in first. They will take a while to settle and grow.

My mom used to give me grief about all of the plants I would bring home (nothing compared to what I buy now every spring!). Then I decided to go to college for a degree in horticulture. She took on a whole new attitude when I brought plants over!
Btw, do you have a picture of that blue Calendula?!!

My mom used to give me grief about all of the plants I would bring home (nothing compared to what I buy now every spring!). Then I decided to go to college for a degree in horticulture. She took on a whole new attitude when I brought plants over!
Btw, do you have a picture of that blue Calendula?!!
Actually, I meant companula...sorry. We have tons of seeds from our beautiful blue companula...it came up in our Portland yard all by itself. And congrats on your degree!!

Actually, I meant companula...sorry. We have tons of seeds from our beautiful blue companula...it came up in our Portland yard all by itself. And congrats on your degree!!
It took me a few years to figure out what I wanted to do after high school, but I graduated before I turned 30! After a couple of decades of having to get to work way too early, I semiretired to the mountains of North Carolina where I put my years of experience to work growing just about all of my produce. And for the flock, too!

Some of you have read the posts by New Boots and I about selling our Portland home of 29 years and moving to Lakeside, Oregon, where we will finally build a coop and run and get a flock of chickens!
Well, we are in Lakeside now, on a double COMPLETELY BARE lot (and we love to garden). The chickens will happen next spring after a fall and winter's time to build the coop and run, but for now, we plant.
Today we visited a wonderful nursery in Coos Bay, run by an awesome 80-something gentleman who walked us through his gardens. It went something like this:
"Oh my gosh, look at that blooming cardinalis! And those manzanitas! Get the silvery one and the red bark one to start. And...is that an aloe? Look at the color of the flowers! What's that, Mister Gardener? This plant has gorgeous foliage in the spring and hosts HOW MANY species of native butterfly larvae in the spring? We must have one of those! Oh good grief, that penstemon is to die for! And those hardy fuscias! And...and...smell the foliage on this agastache - and it's covered in skipper butterflies! Yes, we want five pounds of white clover seed to sow in our mongrel grass so the bees can have clover blooms and the soil can be enriched with nitrogen! Oh, yes, please add at least one pot of calendula - the hummingbirds love the pretty blue blooms!"

We are lucky to have found a gentleman who is happy to be paid to dig many, many holes around the perimeter of the yard so we can start our hedgerows - the ground here is mostly sand, so we have to amend, but the digging is the hard part, at our age/s. And next spring, rabbits and chickens will add to enriching the soil. And off we go! :wee

Anyone else fall victim to plant math? I'd love to hear about it if you have!

How are your plantings settling in, is everything going well? Pictures would be nice to see!

Back
Top Bottom