UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!! Please Help!!!!!!!!!!! Chickens Murdered in DeBary Florida!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mindychick, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Mindychick

Mindychick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    This makes me soooooo upset, and I wanted to share this article with everyone here. This family has been fighting the city to keep the chickens for their autistic son because the chickens have been helping their child. Now today on the news I heard that someone killed several of their chicken and one of them is this childs favorite. I just felt this needed to be shared with people who really understands how tragic this really is. The link below is to the local news report.

Melinda

http://www.baynews9.com/content/new...cles/cfn/2012/10/13/family_fighting_to_k.html

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

it could have been a normal preditor, and not someone.

RobertH

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Most likely raccoons as the family has chain link with no hardware cloth apron to prevent pull throughs.

4. Mindychick

Mindychick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2012
    Hi,

Just wondering if you read the news report. It said they were "beheaded" and the family has been told by the mayor (who has been out there already) to file a police report as it was done by "human means." Sorry I didn't put this in my last post.

Melinda

1 person likes this.
  5. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Or it could have been the neighbors! If it was the neighbors, that is the most heartless thing to do. Sickos! Poor family. I mean, really. If the neighbors did that, they deserve jail time. That is like killing someone's pet dog because it is barking. Poor chickens! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I would be half tempted to go around the neighborhood, searching for the culprit. Those chickens did not do anything wrong. Poor chickens!

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I know it doesnt make as near as good of a story to claim it was a predator, but if the birds were behind chain link fence, it very likely was a coon.

8. skyangel

skyangel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2012
    PA
    I read this and was following it on Wesh.com. I am so furious...I came here bec I seen the headline was noticed here too. Is anyone good at starting a petition?

9. skyangel

skyangel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2012
    PA
    With all the uproar over these chickens, I doubt it was an animal predator.

10. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    there isnt a lot of uproar though. There is a city code, code enforcement has given them time and urged city counsel to allow the therapy birds to stay as part of a special permit. The family was given something like 60 days to petition the city counsel for the special permit. Thats really the whole story. They are in a chain link pen, so yes it isnt as good a story, but very likely a raccoon took the heads off. That is a typical thing to have a coon do. If it was humans being evil I would bet all to have been slaughtered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by