**UPDATE** please help egg stuck!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenman17, Nov 5, 2011.

1. chickenman17

chickenman17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    One of my new laying pullets has an egg stuck coming out of her... whatever its called. Its just hanging there and the whole egg is wrapped in a red membrane type substance. Its all attached to her. What do I do? Please help!

**UPDATE** My Dad and I went out there and we got the egg to slide out and he pushed the stuff back in there but he thinks it will probably happen next egg too. Probably will eventually have to cull her... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. chickenman17

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    Anyone?

3. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    sounds like a prolapse....warm soak for her. (at least 30 mins....) I would also read up on it...do a search here on BYC...maybe someone with more experience will answer back soon.

4. shanilynn2010

shanilynn2010 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    georgia
    You tube a video! I've never heard of that!

5. chickenman17

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    Thanks for the responses. I can't really do a video i might be able to get a picture. What is prolapse?

6. chickenman17

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    Ill try posting this in another category such as the emergency one.

7. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    prolapse is where the tissue on the inside gets pushed out the vent...there is another really good extensive thread on this...I will find it for you. Sounds like the egg got stuck in a fold of tissue and kinda pushed it out the vent...a picture would be nice. I don't think I have ever SEEN a prolapse picture...hang on for the thread link.

8. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
  9. chickenman17

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    Quote:Thanks for the link but i'm afraid I know what i have to do. [​IMG] She was a good hen and my first layer but its just not worth it to try to fix it and she wouldn't lay eggs again. My dad was telling me that he had prolapse happen to a calf before. He stuffed the stuff back in there and sewed it up but she could never reproduce again. I think what caused it is that she layed a big double-yoker yesterday and it strained her so much that this happened.

10. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Rosie ended up being able to lay again with no issues. She did go to the vet to have a procedure done, but I have heard that people have luck putting it back in, and don't have issue with it after that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by