UPDATE!Polish with feet froze off-What to do?Put her down?PICTURES!

RedRoosterFarm

**LOVE MY SERAMAS**
9 Years
Mar 25, 2010
Eatonville, Washington
Polish hen-1.5 yo-Feet are frozen and are dying.
She was found under 16 inches of snow and about frozen to death 4 weeks ago. I thought she kicked out of it and 3 weeks ago I noticed her sitting and her feet hot but I didnt see anything wrong. I never figured they were frozen and dying. I put her in a pen with month old chicks with water and feed and heat. She has been mom to all the babies. Last week I picked her up and noticed the toes are curling up and she may loose 1 foot and the other I hope toes only. She eats and hops around when needs to. She lays most of the time though and just babies the chicks in the pen with her. I feel so bad that I didnt notice they were frozen. Her feet are black so I didnt notice when they started to dry up and died. Should I put her down or let her be a mom? She does not seem to be in much pain and is otherwise healthy and seems happy.(but im not a chicken so I guess I dont know if she is in pain?) I put her outside today and she pecks and ate the grass and bugs. Am I bad to keep her alive?Suggestions please. I can stand her up but she cant be up long. She uses wings to help her hop/walk.
52168_101_0012.jpg
52168_101_0009.jpg
52168_101_0004.jpg

UPDATE- Well tonight 1 leg on my Polish broke off clear up at the point where the feathers meet the leg. It looks pretty clean and no infection but she cant really move much now. The other leg looks like she will loose the foot only but im still waiting. The ankle is swollen on the remaining leg. I am going to try to make a sleeve to go over the leg that came off and attach a foot or peg. She is trying to balance with her wings but its tough. This sucks! I feel so bad for her but want to keep trying until I know she cant get around at all and then I will put her down if need be. She is not in pain from what I see and eats and drinks. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
I am so sorry this has happened to her, did she get left outside and the snow covered her? I don't know what to tell you, hopefully others with experience with something simular will be on to give you advise.

sad.png
I don't know... if she doesn't seem like she is in pain, maybe let her live her life and be a momma... If I lost my legs and wasn't in pain, I'd still want to do as much as I could.
hu.gif
And she seems happy? The cold probably killed the nerves with the circulation? So sad...
hit.gif
If she is a pet hen I'd just make sure she was comfy, pampered, and happy.
idunno.gif

Ok, So my chickens are not to smart. Well, maybe its me. I have a hugh 20x40 covered dry bird barn plus several sheds but for some reason there are always a few polish standing in the field during the snow and rain. GRRRR
Quote:

Poor sweetie. My memory isn't that good, but I know I've seen someone on here that has/had a chicken who was missing one or both of their feet and hobbled around on the stumps just fine. Hopefully someone else can remember who that is and direct you to them, I'm sure they'd be a wealth of info. for you.

I was looking at the feet today and was worried because if I move the toes on 1 foot. I think they might come off. Its kinda gross. I was going to make feet with wire but I want to wait and see if the feet fall off soon or not.
Quote:

I had a duck that lost both feet to frost-bite and hobbled around on stumps. He lived about 4 years. He didn't seem to be in pain but could no longer swim, so had supervised baby pool time daily.

Wishing you the best.

As long as it doesn't get gangrene, and I'm pretty sure it's past the danger for that, I suspect that this bird will be ok, and should be able to adapt and live a fairly good life. I certainly wouldn't put it down at this time.

And actually, I suspect that with a little ingenuity, you probably could rig up some kind of prosthesis that allows to bird to get around better, if need be.

I bet it will work out in the end. Animals are resilient and bounce back from things pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom