UPDATE!!! Poor girl being plucked....Neosporin on hens??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by azfordby4, Jul 17, 2011.

1. azfordby4

azfordby4 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    One of my girls has been plucked pretty good and has blood on her back. It is getting scabbed up. I was out of town and not able to get back to help her earlier so it is pretty bad. She seems weak and lethargic. I have removed her from the other hen and put her inside (it is 110* outside). I gave her some Poly-Visol to help give her a little boost. She also ate some meal worms, and banana (That made her happy). Can I put Neosporin on her back?? Is there better options? Any suggestions would help....

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I've used neosporin on my chickens' cuts before. I didn't have any problems doing so.

3. redhen689

redhen689 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    SE PA
    Clean her up well, put neosporin on her twice a day. Lots of protein in her food. Hopefully she will do fine.

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    And keep her in cooler calmer places until she's healed and strong again. Weak and lethargic, as you know, means she's in considerable trouble.
    JJ

5. azfordby4

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    I read that Bactine is okay to use so I sprayed her and hope for the best. She chowed on some meal worm and was walking around in the kitchen tonight. So I am hoping for the best. I will apply neosporin in the AM and again in the evening. I feel so bad for her. If I would have noticed it earlier I could have prevented it from getting this bad. Sorry Trixie...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  6. azfordby4

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    She is looking better today! She is still slow but way more alert. She is walking around in the kitchen eating meal worms and cilantro! The poos look better also! I have high hopes!

7. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sooo good to hear......!
    JJ

8. azfordby4

May 1, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Well almost 2 weeks have past and she is enjoying life as a house chicken. We put her with the flock for supervised play time and it is going okay. Her back is looking way better. It is going back to pink instead of scabby black! Today her cage was left open for 6 hours and when we got home her and the cat were just hanging out looking at us funny. It was really odd coming home and being greeted by a chicken....

9. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Great news! [​IMG] Thanks for the update!
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by