Update Post 12 w/ pics! Dog attack, left with 1 lonely duck.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kschwartz, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Tonight I had something very tragic happen..

There is a dog in my neighborhood that tends to get itself into trouble quite a bit. It JUMPED the fence of my duck pen - about 3.5 ft high or so and grabbed one of my two ducks and jumped back out. I caught the dog in the act but it was too late.. The dog had broken her neck and she was not in good shape. She died about 10 minutes later.. I am still very upset. My parents are even more upset that the owners of the dog have not called us back yet, even though we called earlier to let them know, but their kids answered (who I am good friends with) and they came over to say they were sorry, but its not the KID's fault.. I'm not sure if the parents are home or not yet but I hope to get a call.

Since I only had 2 ducks, now I am left with 1.. I feel so bad that she is lonely now and I don't know what to do. My family is very attached to our ducks and I don't know if we could handle giving them away, but we put so much time and money into these ducks and they have grown on us so much that it would be very hard to let them go if we had to. I would like to keep her but I don't want her to be lonely and at this time of the year I couldn't get another.. Plus I don't know if I would want to give her away because it is the holiday season and people could be looking for a nice meal, if you know what I mean..

I REALLY need advice here, please could someone help me out?

Thanks.

And RIP Sam.. You were an awesome duck.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    First, I'm sad to read about your losing Sam. That is awful.

[​IMG]

Would you consider taking in a rescued adult duck? That's something to think about after you get some kind of top on that duck pen to prevent the dog doing a repeat performance.

Might be too soon to decide, but it's an alternative to losing your other duck.

And the duck does need company.

I feel there is another duck, maybe a pair, who sure would appreciate a good home.

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Im sorry for your loss [​IMG] ive lost three of.mu favorite ducks to my own dog [​IMG]

Where are you located? Anywhere near East TN I would give you one of my rouen hens so yours isnt lonely [​IMG] I sure hope your close to me [​IMG] and maybe some ducklings [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry again [​IMG]

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Im sorry for your loss [​IMG] ive lost three of.mu favorite ducks to my own dog [​IMG]

Where are you located? Anywhere near East TN I would give you one of my rouen hens so yours isnt lonely [​IMG] I sure hope your close to me [​IMG] and maybe some ducklings [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry again [​IMG]

that is so sad... [​IMG]
    duckgirl, totally awesome of you to offer friends.

5. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011

Sorry again [​IMG]

Thanks for your generosity, but I am located up in Minnesota.

6. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I am so sorry for your loss. How horrible for you, your ducks and your whole family.
    Amiga's suggestion about adopting an adult duck is a great one. Get googling and see if there are any rescues or shelters near you that have ducks. I have had a total of 10 ducks and all but one have come from an farm animal shelter. I did travel a bit of a distance to get them, but it was worth it.
    I hope you can find your duckie a new mate, they really do better with a friend or friends. [​IMG]

7. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN

Sorry again [​IMG]

Thanks for your generosity, but I am located up in Minnesota.

Well, just doing all I can to help [​IMG] wish we were closer though [​IMG]

8. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    So sorry! [​IMG]

You might want to look on Craigslist or Ebay and look for ducks/ducklings for sale. Or you could order a few more online and raise them with her. If you can't she"ll survive until you figure out what to do. Being lonely isn't gonna kill her [​IMG] Also you might want to figure out if you can cover the top of your duck pen.
    I wish you and her luck! [​IMG]

9. nikschicks

nikschicks New Egg

Nov 20, 2011
    Are you located anywhere close to nebraska? I ask because I just lost one of my Rouens to a broken neck on sunday and I have one lonely rouen. Normally I would never part with him but he's sad and doesn't get along with the chickens or my other 3 ducks. I need to find a home for him or find a new friend to come here with us. Let me know if you are interested. I have had him since he was a baby, he will be one year next spring FYI. Oh, and he is pretty spoiled! I do not recall if my email is associated with my profile so I will include it here incase you wish to reach me. [email protected]
    Nik

10. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    I am very sorry for your loss.
    We had a similar incident here last year....thats actually how I ended up raising a couple ducks.

Your duck will need a friend eventually. There were pics of someone that had raised a single with a toy duck for quite some time. It was enough to keep the duck from getting too lonely and crying all the time. Spend more of your time with her until you find another. Contact the rescue shelters and local farms. There ARE ducks available this time of year. Try to find another the same size/age so they do not fight. Maybe another female . 2 hens have a better chance of getting along as strangers. Call around to the feed stores. Big ducks can be as much as $25 and they get cheaper the younger they are. Depends on the area , size and availability.
    Good luck, and again, sorry for your loss.

BTW....even rural areas have laws regarding out of control dogs or aggresive dogs. I'd use those laws because the next remedy would involve a shotgun if I saw that dog in my yard again...Friends or otherwise...they HAVE to control their animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by